Chapter 14 (2/2): Retreat Protocol: Not Found

System Analysis:

Damage: 37%

Rotary Stability: 79% Stable

Current Status:

"You're dead Tin-man!"

"Critical."

Rico narrowly rolled away from another giant swing. He had been getting better at dodging. But he was cutting it close. The majority of the fight consisted of Nix throwing his weight around while Rico desperately avoided the attacks. It was as if a boulder was being lobbed at him. For Nix, it felt like every other fight; a slippery shooter that he couldn't get his hands on.

But that's what he trained for.

Nix watched as Rico rolled to the left. He brought the hammer down and sent a little shockwave forward. The fracture created at the point of impact snaked forward cracking the ground below it. Rico found his foot slipping between the tremors, stuck in a very compromising position.

Upon his trapping, the crowd screamed for Nix. "Break him! Rip his circuits out! Snatch his servos!"

"Um... don't rip his circuits out?" Sam said with a nervous chuckle.

Inside the pit, Rico was struggling to remove his lodged leg. He could hear it. Giant steps getting closer by the second. In a desperate attempt to flee he fired a bullet in the direction of the sound.

"GAH?!"

The rampaging body suddenly halted. Taking a step backward from the bullet. A single yellow bouncy ball rolling beside him. Rico inspected the orb. It felt rather heavy, especially with how small it was. Rico tried to analyze the sphere, but he couldn't identify the reason behind its weight.

"YEAH!" Sam was the only voice now. The rest of the bystanders were stunned. "I knew it! I'm a genius!"

Shelly chimed in, "Wanna share with the class?"

"Okay so... his gun looks like a toy right? And I had this sick idea that he should have ammo that looks like a toy. But how do I give him goofy ammo while still making it effective? Easy... I-"

"He put lead inside the balls."

"NIX! That was my big reveal."

"Whatever," he mumbled while he rubbed his cheek. The ball didn't hurt. It wasn't like he had broken his jaw. But it felt like he was a boy again, fighting some punk kids in the streets. After blowing a frustrated breath he pushed onward. Taking his time as he dragged the mallet behind him.

Rico's pulls got more urgent. Desperately trying to escape Nix's aggressive push. 'Time needed for escape: 34.2 seconds. Nix ETA: 23.7 seconds. Escape options limited. Best choice. Removal of leg.' Rico tried to toy with his feet. 'Leg's unremovable. Final option: Preserve cranial unit.'

"Rico! Shoot him!" Sam shouted.

Rico's eyes began to sputter. 'New escape option available. Stall for time.' Rico focused his barrel on Nix's head. Shooting off a line of five bullets that peppered his skull. Nix's head recoiled with each shot, taking another step backward. When the bullets stopped, he continued forward. This time with his hammer raised overhead.

'Nix ETA: 10.3 seconds. Time for escape: 15.4 seconds. More time required.' He quickly shifted more spheres through his torso, the raucous rattling emanating from the glass dome drawing the attention of the bystanders. Another precise stream of bullets made their mark on Nix's face. But he wasn't delayed as thoroughly this time. He stood directly above the robot. 'Nix ETA: 0 seconds.'

Nix dropped his hammer to the chagrin of Sam and most of the bystanders. Many groaning at the sight of Rico's body crushed under Nix's mallet. Sam peaked through his hand, letting out an audible sigh of relief that shocked the crowd. Shelly and Veronica were not surprised. He pointed to the pit, "He's fine~"