Chapter 15: How did that Happen?

Their breaths melded together as they surged forward. The foliage slapped their faces while vines reached for their feet. They desperately jumped over logs and plowed through leaves barely visible in the moonlight. Behind them, they could hear a dozen feet rushing after. And the low growl combined with scattered yaps to chill them worst than the frigid air.

He turned to see if they were getting closer. Unaware of the low-hanging branch that he charged into. She stopped her rushing to grab him, helping him up as they ran forward again. Now the feet were closer, and they could see the bushes beside them moving.

She looked at him and saw a small amount of blood flowing from his brow. This new stream blended into his naturally fiery mane. In a blind rage, she screamed, "This is all your fault!"

He lumbered forward, the sting of his blood forcing his eyes shut. But he still formulated a response, "How is this my fault?!"

~--~

*Cockle-Doodle-Dooo*

The morning sun shyly peeked over the treetops. Its arrival was warmly welcomed by the villagers. Their morning started up as they rapidly wandered back and forth. Some moved towards the fields to check the crops. Others meandered to the farmlands, inspecting the animals and the crops they wandered near. A small commotion began when a few boys found their favorite boar had claw marks lining its torso.

Meanwhile, in the center of the village, firewood was being placed. Many strong men and powerful women carried large logs from a pile that rested beside the woods. Being dragged out of her tent was the half-dead body of Nita. The tiny girl snored like a freight train as Smokey lifted her onto his shoulders. He trudged to the treeline with a rag in hand. Her bear pelt held onto her skull with a sloppy grip.

Many other members of the village joined him with rags and baskets filled with clothes. Their morning baths were the prioritized option. Though it wouldn't be long before more villagers joined the small team rushing for the nearby river.

As the day got started and bodies surged around the village, one tent was still quiet. A little sliver of light slipped through and illuminated the cramped space.

Incense could be seen dying out, lodged into the ground. A pair of leopard print knapsacks were being slept on rather than in. And atop these sacks were two Caucasian males. One with hair as golden as the sun was bright; the other with hair as red as fire was hot.

Their sleeping positions were wildly out of order, the smaller blonde boy currently upside down with his feet close to the redhead's face. A bit of restless shifting caused his golden locks to part and reveal the bandages around his skull. And his face happened to catch the small beam of light that was slipping inside. He groaned at the uncomfortable heat as the sensation scratched at his eyelid. In a groggy attempt to fight the feeling, the boy kicked his leg; sharply striking the older male in the mouth.

"GAH!" Colt rolled off the knapsack, clutching his jaw. He looked downward, "TYLER?!" The boy was fast asleep, a goofy smile on his face as he rolled away from the light. Colt leaned forward and chopped Tyler on his head.

"AH!" Tyler woke up suddenly, "Why?!"

"You kicked me!"

Tyler was rapidly rubbing his head, "I'm sorry... but why my head?!"

Colt instantly realized his mistake and apologized profusely; the younger deputy dismissed him so he could rise from their beds. He was the first to fully open the tent's flap letting the sun bathe them. He watched as the people rushed around.

Colt walked out shortly after, the redhead's appearance drawing a few eyes from some of the village's warriors. During his tenor within the village, he was asked to show them how city men fought. They were enamored with the skill Tyler presented in his Brawl Ball match and wanted to see more. He obviously avoided all these challenges since seeing the monstrous strength of their youth. If they were this strong, how powerful were the adults? (Little did he know that Nita was a special case). Tyler left Colt to his devices, looking for something to do in the morning.