Chapter 16 (1/?): The Hunt Begins

Art by: TheBrawlerina

~--~

The Ardacian Jungle is a dense wall of foliage and fear. The sounds of the beasts housed within would cause the toughest bastards to turn their tails and run. Even now, Colt could feel his heart slamming against his chest.

No matter how hard he stared he couldn't see through the wall of leaves. The pillars of wood. The curtain of vines. All he could see was the evergreen expanse of biological horrors he soon would be entering.

While he silently regretted what would come next, his hot-tempered companion felt otherwise. "It's not fair!"

Colt swallowed the massive clump of saliva he had unwillingly collected. "Trust me, Tyler." He looked at the giant spear in his hands, "You don't want to do this."

Tyler ignored his bummed boss and sipped on their surroundings. Most of the Ardacians had gathered upon the village outskirts. Though the squadron of hunters consisted predominantly of males there were an astonishing number of women joining in the festivities. Though the youngest warriors were undoubtedly the young men of the village.

Tyler's mood soured a bit when he caught a glimpse of the Cal boys congregating near the entrance. He felt especially disgusted when he saw the smallest brother flexing his muscles to some of the village girls passing by.

"Great... they're hunting too." Tyler huffed with crossed arms. His freckled face glowed red with rage. Again he directed his frustrations at Colt, "Can't you just sneak me in?"

The fiery sheriff blew an exasperated breath, "Tyler you can't hunt." He plucked the boy's head. Just the flick of his finger was enough to generate a loud yelp, "Your head?"

With a small tear forming in his vengeful eyes he shot back, "I won't get hurt by a rabbit."

As the two bickered like father and son, an intimidating voice whispered into Tyler's ear. "I would not underestimate the razor-toothed hare." Tyler jumped into Colt's arms. Bo gave them a booming chortle at their silly response. "No need for alarm young one. There are no razor-toothed hare."

After clearing his throat Tyler stood up to the chieftain. He openly voiced his discourse with Bo's decision to bench him. The chief gave a warm response, "I understand your pain young fighter, but you must understand. The Ardacian Jungle is no skip through the meadows." He playfully ruffled Tyler's hair, "In your condition, you would be putting yourself in unspeakable amounts of harm."

With that he made his way across the strip. When they thought he was out of earshot Tyler leaned into Colt, "If you sneak me in they'll never know."

From down the line Bo shouted, "And if you were to somehow sneak in without my knowledge. Your golden hair might get mistaken for shiny monkey fur."

Tyler's mood further drooped with Bo's final comment. Colt would have comforted him but he was busy getting mentally prepared for the night's activities. He had gotten so used to his revolvers that holding a spear felt like trying to eat soup with a fork.

Tyler paid no attention to the sheriff's turmoil. He instead selfishly prattled on about his personal gripes with being sidelined. Suddenly, like a bullet from a toy gun, Nita launched herself into Tyler's chest.

The two crumbled to the floor behind Colt as Nita playfully squished their cheeks together. Again Tyler hissed from the sudden collision but frustratedly pet the child's head. If only he had a dollar for every time she threw herself into him. While her maroon pelt melded with his golden locks a sweet song chimed in from above, "Need a hand?"