Spies

Sally looked up at her computer screen. So far everything had gone according to plan. She expected to send out another series of messages to informants as soon as possible. She made sure to schedule them inconsistently, keeping the regime from planning or finding much of anything out about them.

That's when Nicole popped up on the computer screen.

"Sally, I have an urgent message from informant E-142."

Sally looked over, "bring it up, Nicole."

Nicole brought up an audio clip, "this was recorded at Communicator booth A1-13."

Sally hit the play button, whoever used the emergency line had to have some serious news.

A dark masculine voice began to speak, the stress in his tone blatant.

"This is informant E-142, I fear that I may have been compromised. All of my outlets are being cutoff. This was my only option. I'm going dark, it will have to be for several months to get them off my trail. Any identities I recover will be stored securely, but in order to best protect the individuals as well as keep the underground hidden is to go through with this. Only contact me in the highest of emergencies, 143295 through line 27. Informant out."

Sally slumped in her seat. Another? She sighed, it was bound to happen. The Guardian had been cracking down on everything.

"Miss Sally?" A small fuzzy face peeked around her chair. "Is everything ok?"

Sally smiled, "I'm ok, thanks Miles. Are you adjusting alright?"

Miles nodded, still seeming to be shy from all of the excitement going on around him. But his computer skills have been excellent, he managed to figure out the system of the computers in a matter of minutes. Fortunately Nicole had been able to lock him out of the more sensitive of the Freedom Fighter files.

"Miss Sally, what happened to the guy you were listening to?"

Sally sighed, "he had to go into hiding for a while. But he'll be ok. He's been very careful and I know he's very smart."

"Don't you know his name?" Miles asked.

Sally shook her head, "no. But that's for the best. If I don't know his name then if I get in trouble I can't tell the regime about him. "

Miles swished his twin tails around, separating them. He had kept them together hidden as one tail in public, but here he seemed happy enough to proudly show off his chaos creature traits. "But since you're the leader, shouldn't you know everything about your team?"

Sally smiled at the naïve kit. "No actually, I don't even know everything about everyone in the underground. We keep secrets to keep each other safe. But that means that I need to trust my team, even the branches that I don't know about."

The kit nodded, but his face twisted into a confused expression. "If you don't know everything about your team, then who does?"

Rotor walked in then and there. "There you are. What's the news?"

Sally turned her seat around, "an informant is going dark. We need to be careful for now, who knows how close they are to him."

Rotor nodded, "right. We'll keep things close to home for now. But, do you want to ask her to keep an eye on things?"

Sally tucked her hand under her chin thoughtfully, "I don't think we have a choice. I'll send a message out tonight, but like you said, let's keep things close. "

Rotor nodded and looked at Miles, "c'mon kid, let's go look at that optimizer for now, ok?"

Miles nodded and eagerly followed him.