The Guardian's paradise

Rouge shifted anxiously. Tower had called her here along with Andrews, a red haired human and Topaz a serious human female, her hair chopped short to fit under the identity concealing helmet they all wore in the truck on the way there. They would be the distraction while she and the infiltrator snuck inside.

Rouge's shoulders drooped, she had seen Handsome' s arrest both on her feed and on the news.

That's why Tower had asked her to keep an eye on him, he had suspected that he was Shadow but hadn't seen her subject before to confirm it. But he had also heard through the pipeline that Shadow was under the Guardian's radar, and wanted to keep watch just in case.

She sighed, she had wanted to know Handsome' s real name, she hadn't wanted to learn this way.

That's when a purple chameleon approached her. "Hello, I'm Espio. I assume that you are Rouge?"

She nodded, "Have you been briefed?"

Espio nodded, "yes. I'm sure you're aware they want us to keep our end as quiet as possible, it has to be a clean stealth mission."

Rouge took the hint, Espio wanted to make sure that she knew what the expectations were, both from the Freedom Fighters and from him. She couldn't be expected to be babysat. She smirked, in that case, she couldn't wait to show him her capabilities.

"Of course. I expect to make sure that this mission succeeds. I know you'll do the same."

The walrus, Rotor was it? Called out for them to head out. Rouge pulled up her mask, her dark suit was going to make this a little easier. And well, since she worked in a decent position, if she was compromised the Freedom Fighters would lose a valuable connection to the monitors that watched the citizens, so she was ordered to conceal her identity.

She looked to Espio as the rest of the team loaded up, it was time.

.....

As Shadow watched the Elites take their places, his resolve grew. He had to move. Even if the regime was going to win, he wasn't about to make it easy for them. He was going to get out of here, he had to. He shifted his wrists, he just needed to get out of these handcuffs first.

A stray quill that had been hanging on precariously finally slipped and fell to the floor. Shadow's eyes widened, there was something that might help. He maneuvered his body so he could pick up the quill. As he fumbled trying to pick the lock, he looked down at his dusty boots and with the stray quill he realized that it had been awhile since he had a chance to clean up. The regime hadn't exactly been the best when it came to allowing citizens to have proper hygiene resources.

He rolled his shoulders trying to adjust a bit for the lock picking. Only to see a new face waiting for his cell to open. This scientist only held a badge up, the two Elites instantly responding. Shadow barely had time to get up before he was once again slammed against the wall. He struggled as the Elites firmly grabbed an arm each.

Once secure, they started dragging him towards the door and down the hall. Shadow struggled, trying to think of a way to escape. But with his powers blocked and two powerful chaos creatures restraining him, his chances were slim to none.

They shoved him towards a new door, the energy deactivating just before they went through.

Shadow's stomach dropped as he saw a metal table and several forms of medical equipment filling the room. Robotic appendages sprouted from the ceiling, holding scalpels and syringes.

The Elites forced him on the table, the Echidna unlocking his cuffs. Shadow immediately took the opportunity to try to push back against them. Both Elites grabbed his wrists and pushed him back down. Shadow built up the energy in his limbs, trying to see if he could throw them off somehow.