"Reverse Redemption"

Roderick noticed a major change in Nate during their gym class and assumed Nate was on his best behavior since that day was Jacory's birthday. Just the day before, he received several angry stares from Nate but they hadn't exchanged words since their fight the previous week. Roderick had gotten Jacory a gift but didn't want to add fuel to the fire between him and Nate, so he wanted to get Nate's permission before giving the gift to Jacory. After their shower following their gym session, he stopped thinking about it and made the effort.

            "Yo," he said while approaching Nate, who was in the middle of drying off his naked body. "Can we talk for a second?"

            "Needs to be quick," Nate said without making eye contact.

            "I know shit ain't been good between us but today is Jacory's birthday and I think we need to put the bullshit aside for him. I got him a gift and I wanted to know if that's okay. I mean, if you don't want me to give it to him then you can and I'll just—"

            "You can give him the gift. I don't mind."

            "You sure? Because I know—"

            "I really don't mind, Rod. All I ask is that you don't come to the party I'm throwing for him on Saturday. I know you've already heard about it. It's invite-only and I can't risk Reece coming and causing a problem."

            "It's all good. I understand. I actually got other things to do this weekend. Thanks for bein' cool about the birthday gift."

            Nate began putting on lotion as he said, "No problem, man."

            Roderick headed back to his gym locker and finished getting dressed. When the bell rang, he quickly hurried out of the locker room and ran to where his hallway locker was. He grabbed some books he'd need for homework and Jacory's birthday gift and then ran to catch Jacory before he could exit the school building with his friends.

            "Yo, Mookie," he called out. "Hold up!"

            Jacory and his friends stopped and turned to see Roderick running towards them. Montrell jokingly said to Jacory, "Here comes your side piece."

            "Trell, shut up," Jacory said while rolling his eyes. When Roderick made it to them, Jacory folded his arms and asked, "What do you want, Rod?"

            He handed Jacory the gift and said, "This is for you. I already talked to Nate about it and he's cool with it. Happy birthday, Mookie. I hope you like it." He smiled and then ran through the exit doors to leave.

            "Don't just stand there, bitch," Demetrius said to Jacory. "Open it."

            Jacory untied the ribbon that was wrapped around the box and then lifted the top off of the box. Inside was a framed enlarged photo of him and Roderick from the night of the freshman end of the school year dance in 2013. They were wearing matching outfits and Roderick had his arm around Jacory as they both smiled for the camera. That night was the night the young couple lost their virginities to one another, an experience that Jacory deemed the best night of his life. Tears immediately filled his eyes as he stared at the photo.

            "Aw, y'all look so adorable," said Montrell. "I remember that night."

            "Me, too," said Demetrius. "That was the night miss thang got her cherry popped!" He began laughing but stopped when he noticed the tears in Jacory's eyes. "J, what's wrong?"

            "Nothing," Jacory managed to say. "I just...wasn't expecting this from him. I don't even know what happened to my copy of this photo. I haven't seen this in a while. He kept the original photo and had it enlarged?"