"Knowledge of Good & Evil"

Montrell made sure his door was locked as he waited for Saquan to arrive. He hadn't gotten any new text messages from Jacory or Demetrius, so he turned off his phone and set it down on his nightstand. He then picked up his remote and opened the Netflix app on his TV. Just as he was opening a pack of spearmint breath mints, Saquan softly tapped on his window from out on the fire escape. After quickly popping a couple of mints into his mouth, he hurried to the window and unlocked it. He pushed it up and then helped Saquan climb in.

            "It's cold as fuck out there," said Saquan while rubbing his hands together.

            Montrell put his finger to his lips and whispered, "Shh, my momma is home."

            Saquan unzipped and removed his jacket, whispering back, "My bad."

            Montrell placed the jacket on the coat hook attached to the back of his bedroom door. He then sat down on the bed as Saquan took off his Nikes. He moved over so that Saquan could sit down on the bed. Saquan then moved closer and rested his back on Montrell's headboard. He looked at Montrell and they both smiled and became shy.

            "I ain't never did this before," Saquan admitted quietly.

            "Boy, what? I'm sure you've watched movies with plenty of girls and guys before you...did it with them."

            "Not really. I mean, they'd start a movie but we'd end up fuckin' before the credits were done. I've never been in somebody's bed without it gettin' to that. I can still kiss you, right?"

            "Yeah."

            "Well, I'm cool then." He turned his phone off and put it in the pocket of his sweatpants before saying, "It's Halloween, so let's watch a movie or two or three."

            "Three? Oh, no. I likes my sleep and it's already late."

            "You go to bed early on a Saturday night?"

            "When I'm home, yeah. Shoot, I put on a face cream mask and watch a movie or two with some popcorn and then wash my face, brush my teeth, and put together a bedtime playlist on my phone."

            Saquan laughed a little and said, "Shoot, I don't blame you. If my room was like this I'd be at peace, too. Your bed is way more comfortable than mine and your room smells a million times better."

            "Ew, please tell me your room doesn't smell like feet and ass?"

            "It ain't that bad but it ain't nice like this. You would have a cute room with yo cute self."

            "So, did you have any plans for Halloween that had to be cancelled so you could come over here tonight?"

            "I had to take my lil' brother Noah and my lil' sister Nylah trick-or-treating but that was earlier before it even got dark."

            "How old are they?"

            "Five. They're twins."

            "Aw, that's so adorable. I bet they liked having their big brother take them around the neighborhood to get candy."

            "They did but I didn't. I mean, they're cute and everything but they're a handful. To be honest, I thought about you all day. It's like I can't ever get you to myself. How am I gonna be your boyfriend if I can't spend time with you?"

            Montrell gave him a look and asked, "Be my boyfriend? Who said I wanted you to be my boyfriend?"

            "Don't even try that. You kissed me first that night at the rec center, remember? Grabbed all on me and shit."