~ the one in the window

"What do you want for Christmas?" Charlie asks randomly, slowly eating some peanuts from his bowl.

Alex looks over from the other side of the room, comfortable in her spot. "Cake."

Charlie laughs and looks over, away from the sports channel. "No, like a present."

"Cake." Alex shrugs, eating some popcorn from the bowl on the floor beside her.

"Oh you're useless." Charlie huffs. "What do I get you for Christmas? That's I'm trying to ask."

Alex thinks. "A spa day."

"I got you that for your birthday."

"Okay... Clothes."

"Birthday."

"Umm..."

"Look, I spoiled you on your birthday coz you almost died just before. And I'm useless at gift giving. So give me some hints." He says.

"I really don't like presents, babe. Save your money." She shrugs, sipping her beer. "Oh, I know. Beer."

"Ugh!" He groans, rolling his eyes.

Alex laughs and sits up. "Don't be mad. You know you love me." She says, climbing on top of him and burying her face in his neck.

Charlie strokes her back. "I do, I know. A lot." He says chuckling. "You're like a cat, you know that?"

Alex gasps and sits up, her eyes wide. Her messy redish hair hides the part she shaved. "Can we go to the animal shelter?!"

Charlie's eyes widen. "No! No no no. No, don't give me those - ugh Alex - no- fine!" He snaps. He really cannot resist her puppy dog eyes and pouty lip. She's been practicing with the help of Jimmy who seems to have Charlie wrapped around his fingers, too.

Alex shrieks and runs to grab her shoes as Charlie sits up. "Right now!?" He says.

"Yes right now, get up!" She giggles as she hops about trying to get her shoes on. "Come on!"

Charlie sighs and hauls himself up, slipping his boots on as he mutters under his breath and slips his coat on. He grabs his keys as Alex runs out to the truck, almost slipping in the snow but recovering quickly. "Serves you right!" He snaps.

She bounces excitedly as she waits, jumping in the moment he unlocks the door. "Yknow I love you, yeah?"

"Good job you do." He mutters, driving. The closet shelter is almost all the way in seattle, so it's a good few hours drive. Once they park up, he takes Alex's hand. "Were just looking. Okay?"

"Okay..." She gives an innocent grin to satisfy him. "Looking. Window shopping." She nods.

Charlie sighs and they head in, a woman showing them around. Alex mutters the word "puppies" and before they know it, they're in the dog kennels, looking down a row of dogs and puppies all locked away. Her lip begins to jutt out as she looks at them, Charlie sighing and closing his eyes for a second.

She walks ahead, looking in the cages. "Hi bubbies ..." She coos to a few, pausing to look at them. She gasps instantly. "Oh oh oh look at choooo!" She gasps, kneeling down and sticking her fingers in the cage of a small white husky with gray patchy eyes.

 "Oh oh oh look at choooo!" She gasps, kneeling down and sticking her fingers in the cage of a small white husky with gray patchy eyes