~ the one with charlies freedom

Alex chews the string of her hoodie. "Talk to me, Mick." She says as soon as he picks up her call.

He sighs. "Didn't you only just call?"

"I called 2 hours ago. Tell me what's going on?" She demands, staring out of the kitchen window.

Mick rubs his forehead and leans back in his chair. "I don't really know, okay? I thought I'd get an update but I haven't yet. They took him to Seattle yesterday and I haven't heard anything-"

"They took him where!?" She snaps. "I've called every two hours since yesterday morning and you didn't think to tell me!?" She yells.

"I thought I'd have more answers! I'm sorry, Lex, I really am. Look, pack a bag and come stay with us and the kids, we don't like the -"

"I'm not going anywhere Michael, not unless it's to Charlie. Call me when you actually know something." Alex snaps, hanging up the phone. She slams it against the table, for now not caring if it's cracked or damaged or anything. She rubs her head and covers her face, tearing up again.

It's been almost 4 days since Charlie was taken in. She knows how these guys work, they'll work the paper work so it looks like he went willingly for questions for a day and then their 72 hour hold begins a day later than that. Or even later than that. And if they believe they have solid evidence, they can keep him even longer.

There's a knock at the door and Alex rushes to answer it, sighing sadly as she sees Esme Cullen stood there rather than someone who has answers. Esme smiles small, a few tupperware boxes in her arms. "Hi... Bella said you haven't really be eating lately and I wanted to drop some food round. I know you can cook and handle it yourself but I thought it's one less thing for you to worry about."

Alex forces a smile and moves aside so she can come in. "Thank you, that's real kind. I haven't got much of an appetite if I'm honest."

Esme sets the containers on the side and watches Alex sit at the table again. "I understand that, but remember that even though you may not, your growing a baby in you. They will be hungry."

Alex forces another smile. "I can't seem to think about the baby at the moment... I never even got chance to tell Charlie. Now so many people know and he doesn't. And I don't know how he's going to react or if he'll even want me after-after this." She exhales shakily.

Esme frowns and sits opposite her, taking her hand. "Oh honey, of course he'll want you! Charlie is head over heels in love with you, anyone can see that. You could do something unimaginable and he'd still forgive you."

Alex sniffles gently. "I wish I just knew he was okay. Or what they have on him. Or where John is." She sighs. "Can't Alice see him?"

"Alice doesn't know him, honey, that makes it harder. And if his future is entangled with yours, it's made harder by... Shoot, you don't know that part." Esme whispers.

Alex stares. "What part? Esme. What. Part." She demands as Esme goes quiet.

"Okay, you didn't hear this from me. The quileute boys are... Shape-shifters. Wolves." She says slowly.

Alex's hands cover her mouth as her eyes widen. "Wolves!?" She finally shrieks. "As in-"

Esme nods. "Yes, wolves. Not your everyday wolves, bearing in mind, but still. Alice can't see them well or at all sometimes as she hasn't been one. They're all around here, around her, around you."

"Around me?" Alex asks, frightened.

Esme smiles. "Charlie's had Jacob and his pack patrolling around you to be sure you're always safe."