Chapter 5: Fixing up the Lair

Eve's face was caked with grease and dirt, a spanner in one hand and a flashlight in another, she was laying beneath the car fixing the broken invisibility motor and anything else that needed fixing. It was obvious the car had gone longer than is safe without a tune-up, if it had ever actually had one, and instead of the 5-minute fix for the motor, Eve needed to do some work on pretty much everything. She was incredibly impressed with the fact the car hadn't blown up with the number of things wrong with it, but luck is a mysterious thing. It was keeping her busy, and with the brainbots there to pass her tools, she was deep in a state of concentration as she worked on the underside of the car. She didn't notice Minion's frequent visits to the garage or the crashing and banging coming from within the lair as Minion constructed the sun laser. She was in her little slice of heaven in that moment.

She was finished by lunchtime, and in desperate need for a shower and something to eat. Minion was focusing on the laser, so she took the liberty to do everything herself. She walked into the bathroom and stripped down, putting all her clothes in the basket, and turning the water on. It felt like a warm, comforting waterfall flowing across her skin. The water glided along her body and she lathered some soap in her hand and started washing herself, humming softly.

Her eyes were closed when the door opened, and she didn't notice Minion walking in until she heard him scream out.

"Jesus!" Eve exclaimed, covering herself up as well as she could.

"I'm so sorry! I thought you were still working on the car! I was just getting the washing basket so I could put the washing machine on! I didn't even know that the shower worked!" Minion explained, covering his eyes with his little tentacles as he leaned over to the basket and grasped it in his arms.

"It's fine, it's fine!" Eve blushed as she covered her nether regions with a loofa. Minion quickly rushed out, leaving Eve a blushing mess.

In the prison, Megamind was twirling in his seat with a dreamy look upon his face, his thoughts clouded with the image of the beautiful woman he was going to see in the next two days. He was lightly humming the tune to 'Lovin' You' by Minnie Riperton and tracing hearts on the arm rest of his chair. He'd spent the last couple of hours doing this, as well as watching rom coms on the Tv whenever they came on.

The Warden, watching what he was doing from the security camera's, found his behavior extremely confusing. Megamind had never acted like this before, maybe he was plotting something. Getting his guard down in order to escape. Though, he did look happier than he had been anytime he had seen him. The Warden frowned slightly as Megamind changed the channel to a lovey dovey movie, compared to the action show that had been on before he changed it. He didn't take Megamind as the romantic type.

However, at the evil lair, Eve and Minion were apologizing profusely to each other as they made lunch, both of them refusing to take the blame for the incident. They went back and forth like clockwork until they finally settled on the fact it was nobody's fault, and it was simply coincidence.

When lunch was finished, Eve changed into her hoodie and some leather pants, grabbed some money from Minion and walked down to the shops. As she walked, she kept her head down low as to not draw attention to herself and listened to the clicking of her boots against the pavement as she wandered around in search of a grocery store. It didn't take too long, in the massive city, and she quickly found a small grocery store that proved good enough for a quick shop. She walked in and the doorbell jingled lightly, alerting the grocer of her presence. The person behind the counter paid no attention however, continuing to flip through a magazine as Eve browsed the isles. She picked up a basket from the corner of the store and walked over to the produce section, picking up a handful of apples, bananas, onions, celery and other fresh produces. She also picked up some mince meat and a few other things before approaching the counter, keeping her head down as the person dialed up her price.

"Your total is $55.50," The cashier smiled, and Eve reached into her pocket for her wallet when she realized it had fallen onto the ground. She leaned down to pick it up and, without thinking, looked up at the cashier and smiled apologetically. The cashiers face went from polite and welcoming to sour and scared, their hands shaking as they pushed the groceries closer to Eve and walked out the back, probably to call the police.

"Wait! I'm not-" Eve sighed, giving up on it and just placing six 10-dollar notes on the counter as she took one of the reusable bags from below the counter and filled it with the groceries. She'd expected something like this would have happened, she was just hoping it wouldn't gain any media since she didn't want anyone to know about her until she was comfortable. She sighed and left the store, dragging her feet on the way back to the lair.

"I wish Megamind was back," She muttered, walking through the wall into the lair, turning into the kitchen and flopping the bag down onto the counter. She walked up to Megamind's bedroom and flopped onto his bed face first, taking a deep, slow, breath in. The blankets still slightly smelled like him, and Eve slowly let herself fall asleep with the image of the both of them in a soft embrace in her mind.

In the prison, Megamind was planning what he would say to Eve when they next met. He'd spent over an hour trying to figure out what to say already, thinking that if he said something wrong that she'd leave. This, of course, was not the case. She finally felt safe with someone, which hadn't ever happened before.

"Hey, Eve, what's cracking lacking?" He snapped his fingers and finger gunned at nothing in particular. "No, no definitely not."

He sighed and sat down in his chair, defeated. Minion told him to be himself, but he didn't really know who 'himself' was. He was Megamind. He was evil. But, around Eve, he didn't want to be evil. He wanted to protect her, he wanted to keep her safe. When he was around her, or even when he thought of her, his stomach would swarm with those figurative butterflies and he could feel his face flush. He hoped that the next evil scheme wouldn't affect her opinion on him, though she didn't seem to care much about those types of things. It was comforting to know that when he came back to the lair, she'd be waiting for him. At least, he hoped she would be. His heart belonged to her, though neither of them knew that.