Promise ring

"Don't peek." Osamu turns his back around to you with his canvas close to his chest. You stifle a giggle and return your curious eyes back to your canvas.

The crisp morning air and warm sunrays shine down on your face. There's a gentle breeze that flutters your hair and you can't possibly think of better weather than today to lay out a picnic blanket and paint with Osamu.

Your mind grows distracted from painting and you're more intrigued to watch Osamu's focused expression on his painting. It's also not often you see him wear a tank top. His muscles are out for the world to see as he wears the black tank top paired with distressed jeans, cuff link earrings, and a silver chain that holds onto a ring.

Pursing your lips, you lower your paint brush and quietly lace your arms around his neck from behind.

"Hey, didn't I say no peeking?" Osamu turns his head slightly and his breath hitches when your lips gently press against his.

"I'm looking at you Osamu. Not the painting." Your eyes focus on his grey ones. You stare at Osamu with adoring eyes and you feel his shoulders relax. A small smirk forms on his face and he looks away shyly, dryly chuckling at your antics.

"I'm guessing you're done painting then?" Osamu continues to stroke his paintbrush against the canvas. You shake your head and rest your chin on his shoulder. Not wanting to peep at his canvas, your eyes remain on his side profile. The way Osamu's eyelashes are straight and long to his grey luscious hair with his fringe parting to the left. Everything about him is handsome.

You take in every detail about him in silence. Your heart racing the more you look.

"I love you." The words absentmindedly slip from your tongue and it causes Osamu to freeze up. He slowly turns to look at you, his usual deadpan expression reflecting at you. There's a silence filling the conversation, the only sound of the wind and birds chirping around you.

The corner of his lips curl into a small smile and his eyes soften when he looks at your face. He lowers the paintbrush in his hand. "Come here." His low tone echoes in your ears. Osamu moves the canvas to the side along with his paintbrushes. He then pats his lap for you to sit.

A smile plasters on your face and you happily claim your spot on his lap, your arm laces back around his neck.

Osamu softly snickers under his breath from how clingy Y/N is today. But he couldn't blame her. The two have been busy with their work or school during the week. The weekends seem to be the only time the two can spend an entire day together.

He feels the weight of Y/N's head rest on his chest. He raises one hand to stroke the back of her head, her silky hair running between his fingertips. Her sudden declaration earlier made him speechless and nervous. It's like the two are going through puppy love all over again.

There's a soft graze against his chest when he feels Y/N's fingertips extend towards his necklace.

"Is this ring important to you Osamu? It's not the first time I've seen it." You point at the ring, pulling your finger back when Osamu delicately holds the ring between his fingertips. There's a gentle smile on his face when he stares at the silver band ring.

He lifts the chain off around his neck and unclasps it to carefully take the ring off from the chain. Osamu then carefully holds up your right hand. While he speaks, he slips the ring onto your ring finger. The ring fitting perfectly. "Originally I planned to give this to you three years ago. But of course I fucked up and broke our relationship instead of strengthening it. I..." His lips seal tightly and he inhales sharply after collecting his thoughts together.

He holds onto your hand delicately and presses several kisses against your knuckles. "I planned to give you this ring as a promise ring. I couldn't afford an engagement ring at the time...sorry."

Your words are in your throat and your heart pounds outrageously against your chest when you listen to Osamu. This is definitely not the answer you anticipated. "Y-You...wanted to marry me?" Your voice comes out shaky and your eyes waver when you look at Osamu's blushing face. He scrunches his nose innocently and nods his head.

"Why wouldn't I?" He tries to ease his nerves by pressing several kisses to your forehead. He then rests his forehead against yours, raising your hand between you both. There's a loving look in his eyes when he stares at the ring on your finger. "I'm just glad I'm able to give you the ring in the end." Osamu whispers in a hushed voice. "I often wanted to throw it away since it reminded me of how badly I fucked up but something told me to keep it close."

Your eyes focus on the silver band ring. You wondered what life would've been like if things were handled better. But you don't dwell on the "what if's" for long. The present lead you back to Osamu and that's what matters. "I love it." You whisper, looking over to Osamu. A smile tugs on his lips and he chuckles.

"There's something else I want to show you." Osamu slips the ring off of your finger. He tilts the ring at an angle for you to see the engraving inside the ring. Your brows raise when you see a heartbeat pulse. "That's what my pulse looks like when I say your name." His low whisper tickles your face and your heart sways.

You feel the corner of your eyes form hot tears and you try to flutter them away. "You're more romantic than you look 'Samu." You sheepishly mutter out, scrunching your nose innocently. He blushes from your words and slips the ring back on your finger.

Osamu then wraps his arms around your small frame, embracing you closely. "What can I say? It's because I love you Y/N." His husky voice meets your ears and Osamu presses a gentle kiss to the temple of your head. You're intoxicated by his cologne. The scent of woody spices and vanilla with a hint of citrus.

There's a small smile on your face when you listen to Osamu. It's obvious that the two of you love each other very much even during the difficult time of you two being apart. Your arms lace around his waist and you nuzzle your head against the crook of his neck.

There's a comfortable silence as the two of you embrace one another.

"So...do you still want to marry me?" You break the silence with a question. Osamu scoffs in response and ruffles your hair.

"I'm sure you know the answer to that Y/N." A warm laughter erupts from Osamu's throat. You giggle and squeeze Osamu's waist. His hand finds it's way to the back of your head and he slowly strokes your hair again. Osamu's lips press a kiss to your head and he rests his cheek on top. "Of course I do."