Wayne or End of the F***ing World

You can imagine Wayne, End of the F***ing world, or whatever run away couple you like. I'm naming the hot dark-haired male character Wayne but you can replace it with whoever you're imagining.

"We need to get clothes" I look at the man in front of me. We've been on the road to long without a way to do laundry. "I'm sick of these jeans."

"Clothes are expensive."  

"There should be a thrift store around here. We'll just sleep in the car tonight instead of a camp site to save money. One of those safe place gas stations or whatever. They have good cameras in case anything happens. We need more clothes." I keep my eyes locked on his until he agrees. I know it's below freezing and it's probably dangerous, but it's not like we have anywhere else to go. And it's no worse than a campsite.

"I know I can't buy it but," I open the changing room door and step out dramatically. "It fits perfectly." 

"Wow." He looks me up and down a few times before blinking and resting his eyes on my face. "You're beautiful." 

"Wayne, this is a clubbing dress not a prom gown. People don't look 'beautiful' in slutty dresses." I joke as I walk over to the full length mirror. He stays quiet so I turn to look back at him. He's looking at the ground solemnly "What? What's wrong?"

"I just." I walk back over to him and reach out my hand for him to take. "I wish I could buy it for you." 

"Dude, I wouldn't buy this dress even if I had the money for it. It's just for fun." I chuckle at him and shake my head. He looks up at me with sad eyes but smiles again when he sees I'm smiling. 

"Go pick out one of those button up shirts, idiot." I gesture over to the men's section. 

"Why?"

"Because they're versatile. If you need to go to an interview or somethin' you can tuck it in and it'll look formal. And if it's cold you use it for layers. Plus if you roll up the sleeves it looks really hot." I wink at him as I walk back into the changing room. Just as I turn my head I see him smile. 

With the clothes bought and in the trunk we head to find a decent looking gas station. 

"Where are you sleepin'?" He asks as I take the night bag from the trunk. Pillows, blankets, and window covers. 

"Wherever you don't." I tell him simply, putting the widow covers on and then grabbing my new shorts so I don't have to sleep in my jeans again. "Here, you can use my duck feather coat as a second blanket. You'll never feel the cold if you keep this on." I grin at him and set it with the rest of his stuff. 

I change into my shorts in the back seat before setting up my sleeping arrangements. Just as I finish, my phone rings. We both look at each other. I had it on silent until today when I had to set an alarm. He shakes his head as I reach for it. It's Jane. My best friend. I climb out of the car into the cold.

"Is that you? Are you okay?" She asks frantically after a few seconds of silence. She's tried to call me everyday since we left but I've never answered. "Please. Just let me know you're okay."

"I'll have a lot of stories to tell when I get home." My voice is quieter than I expected. She sighs and just before she can say anything else I hang up. 

I don't move to go back to the car; I just stand in the freezing wind and let tears fall from my eyes. Edgy, but I haven't cried since we left and I miss home. No matter how sucky it was.

Before long I feel Wayne walk up behind me. He rests my duck feather coat over my shoulders and moves to go back to the car. Before he gets very far I turn to grab his wrist so we're facing each other and fall into his arms. He seems stunned at first but then wraps his arms around me as I cry.