X-Files

Scully's younger sister helps with cases. I'm writing this as I watch it, I'll come back later and edit. Season 5 episode 9. Schizogeny.

"Dana you don't actually think a suspect of my age- even a muscular male- could've buried a 250 pound man vertically within the 5 minute time span." I look at her across the corpse of Mr. Rich.

"I think it's more likely than any other theory."

"But we don't have enough evidence to have any sort of theory on this yet. Can I sit in on interviews?" I look up at Mulder beside me. Dana is always hesitant to let me join interviews of grieving families. Even more so now after all we've been through.

"You can join me." Mulder says once we get to the house. Dana looks at him like he's made a mistake. "Oh come on Scully. Don't you think he'd be more responsive to someone his own age? He's been bombarded with police all day."

"Yeah alright. But Mulder asks all the questions." She agrees before we're welcomed into the house.

We walk into Bobby's room to see band posters everywhere. Mulder makes a joke about one of them, but no body laughs. I compliment the KISS album cover and make small talk. He seems reluctant and passively rude.

"We're not here to accuse you of anything, Bobby." Mulder takes a step forward.

"What're you here for then?" He looks at me. I try to keep my mind on the case instead of the fact that he reminds me too much of Billy Loomis from Scream. I think it's the hair.

"We want to hear your story."

"I tried to help. I couldn't."

"Well, the police aren't entirely convinced that that's the truth."

"So what the hell am I supposed to do about it? They want me to confess so they have someone to blame." Bobby looks up at him.

Is this how teenagers usually act? No, right? Not really. Only troubled ones who just lost their stepfather. Travelling around with my sister and Mulder all the time has distorted my perception of people my age so I suppose this could be the norm.

"West Memphis three." I mutter under my breath. They both look at me and I shrug.
"That's what you're getting at right? Small town cops want a confession for an emotional case, they turn to their prejudices for guidance." Bobby smiles.

"Could be."

"But, you see, you're not making it very easy for them to believe someone else did it. You understand that?" Mulder interjects to stay on target.

Bobby clears his throat and looks back down. "What can I say? Everybody knows I hated him." He starts explaining what happened last night. They continue to talk as I look around. I notice a gaming console, pictures of naked women and other posters. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. I might be questioning the photos of guns and knives if weapons had any involvement in the case.

Mulder and I thank him for his time and walk outside.
I sit in the grass and try to picture the scene while he looks around the trees.

"They're dying. According to Bobby's mother, that's a big reason why her husband blew up. His hazelnut was hit with a blight." Scully walks up to us from the house as Mulder touches a twig.

"So that's why he hit Bobby?" I ask, looking up at my sister. She nods.

"And he hits back." She and Mulder start walking.

I tilt my head and stand up to follow them.

"Is that what she told you?" Mulder asks as he puts his gloves back on.