Silent Storm (prolog)

I can't remember much from my childhood. I can't really remember much from the time before I turned 18. It's like I was born an adult.

My aunt said it was normal to forget things from your childhood. She said that childhood amnesia was normal for everyone, so I shouldn't feel bad for not remembering much from my past. Besides, no one would blame me if I had an extra hard time recalling past events, especially traumatic ones. But despite her talk about suppressed memories and childhood amnesia, there was still one memory from my past, that I remember clearly. Or used to remember.

I was 3 years old when it happened.

My aunt said that my parents were driving into the city with me. She said that it was a drunken driver that had hit our car. A bypasser had called an ambulance, but my parents had died immediately from the impact.

I knew those claims were lies. The only truth was that they died because of a car accident.

No matter what my aunt told me, I knew my parents weren't driving me to the city. We lived in the outskirts of town, and we were driving through the woods. I remember the trees. The leaves rustled as I laid on the side of the road, waiting for the ambulance to come. I can't remember what specifically happened for the car to crash, but it stopped suddenly and we went into the ditch.

My father had been driving the car and was the most injured. I remember seeing him laying over the wheel as my mom took me out of the car. She was talking frantically into her phone, as she dragged me further and away from the war.

What followed is like a haze in my memory.

I must have had oxygen deprivation from crying. I remember feeling someone lifting me up. Loud noises that disturbed my half conscious mind. When I could somewhat sense again my aunt was with me. I vividly remember the smell of burnt gas as she hugged me. She told me that everything would be alright. That the pain would be over, and that the world would never hurt me again.

Next thing I know, we're at my parent's funeral.

This memorie stayed with me for years. My aunt tried to convince me that I had it altered in my head, but I knew she was wrong. She couldn't stop me from believing what I remembered, so she made me forget it.

With all my studying, practice and chores, there was no room to think about that event, and one day it just slipped away.

But as I'm laying here on the pavement, the smell of oil and gas from the exhaust filling the air, this old memory floods my mind. It feels like a gut to the punch. Like a bad dream come true.