(A/N) 1st semi final!!!

It's Eurovision time and I have my a major writing assignment literally right now :,D

Anyway I still watched the semi final lmao because I promised myself last year I'd watch both semi's and then of course it all got cancelled.

Anyway, I wanted to pop in and just give my opinions on the songs and the qualifiers, so just skip this chapter if you don't want to be spoiled (or hear my opinion 😉)!

Yesterday was a blast!

Even though I've heard pretty much all the songs a hundred times it was still amazing to see them perform on stage. But there were a few whose live vocals kinda tugged the whole performance down in my opinion.

Ireland was one of them. I love Story of My Life and I think Lesley should've gone with a song in the same genre, because her voice didn't really fit this one. Even in the studio version it's actually kinda hard to hear what she's singing. At least the first few times you hear it.

Romania was the other one. Don't get me wrong Amnesia is a great song, but Roxen's vocals were just so... underwhelming compared to the studio version. So much so, that I'm not that sad she didn't qualify. I'm no big fan of Ukraine's but my sister really likes it, so I'm glad for her and Go_A🇺🇦!

Now, onto a song that had a glow up from its studio version. Russian Woman🇷🇺💐🇷🇺!

The studio version is so quiet and so unappealing to me, that I've only listened to it once and then afterwards only listened to the live performance from the national selection. But the live was a party!!! You go Manizha!

Another song that was a real party was Croatia 🇭🇷. It should have been that over Azerbaijan. My sister thinks the final could go without both songs, since there are already three other pop and dance songs in her opinion (Israel, Malta and Cyprus), but I think it should've replaced Mata Hari.

It's so similar to Cleopatra and not in a good way. Cleopatra was one of my favourites last year and I was excited to see what Efendi's song would be like, just for it to basically be a Cleopatra 2.0. I mean it's still good, but I can't love it in the same way as Cleopatra. I didn't feel the same excitement, because it felt like I had heard it before.

Anyway, enough about the sexy dance pop songs. North Macedonia's was quite forgettable although Vasil did become a discoball which was cool. Slovenia wasn't really that noteworthy either. her song last year wasn't really much either, but it was a good song. Amen was just... eh.

Oh, and Australia not qualifying for the first time. I mean, I do believe that Don't Break Me could've been a non qualifier too. Montaigne is a good singer but her songs are a little back. Maybe they'll pull a Sweden and only mess up this once.

Speaking of Sweden. I was so confused as to what gender Tusse was. I was sure he was a girl, but I did also think he was like 25 and then he's like around the same age as my sister which is crazy. There are so many people born in or after 2000 it's crazy 🤯.

But this semifinal did have like the three oldest people in the contest. Belgium's was my mom's favourite. I don't really have a comment on them other than the fact that they had a different lead singer from last year. My sister said something about their current singer being the first one the band had.

Lithuania is by far the strangest/weird/interesting (next to Russia in terms of staging). Like, did you see the girl dance? And the guy for the matter. They were going all in with those dance moves! Even if the song isn't my thing looking at them dancing with such passion makes me want to dance to 💃💃

I know I haven't commented much on Cyprus, Israel or Malta so that's what I'm doing now.

Cyprus' is good but it does remind me a little of Bad Romance by Lady Gaga. Also, my sister said she felt like Elena's hip swaying was to distract people from the fact her son wasn't good (kinda disagree but I can see her point).

I don't really have much to say about Israel. It's not bad, I just have other songs I'm rooting for. I liked the staging tho. I liked the drawing that got displayed on that floating wall they have to the right.

My sister don't like Malta. She says it sounds too much like the winner from 2018, but I actually really like it. It's catchy and Destiny has a really good voice! The staging was maybe a bit simple, but her voice made up for it in my opinion!

Oh my god, I forgot to mention TIX! His song is kinda really cheesy and I heard he won over KEiiNO! I heard their song and I don't understand how he did it, but it happened all the way back in February so I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it. Anyway, TIX is cool.

Speaking of cool people, ITALY 🇮🇹. OH MY GOD THEIR LEAD SINGER!!!! Damiano is so hot I can't even. This is a thing me and my sister can 100% agree on: Italians ✨

Although she's a much bigger fan of Italy 2018. She even watched some of Sanremo because one of them was competing. She says she doesn't have celebrity crushes but if she had one she'd say their names.

She also really adores Germany's representative. His song is kinda weird and probably won't do that well, but that's normal for Germany. They're not really that high climbers (unlike Italy lmao). He does have a funny dance on stage.

Okay, ending off on the Broccoli song aka the Netherlands. That's it. That's the song. 🥦

Haha it's funny. And better than last year. Dunno if it'll do that well. I don't have much left to say and it's getting kinda late, so I'll stop here.

See you after the next semi where some more interesting songs will compete (RIP Iceland).