A Matter of Time

My aunt was more happy than usual. She didn't express it with words, but I could see it on her. She spoke softer to me, smiled more, even with her eyes. When helping me pack she even hummed.

It was.. odd. Strange. It almost made me uncomfortably how happy she seemed about my sleepover at Henrik's.

On the drive over she even turned on the radio. She normally turns it off, saying that they only play trash music, which children shouldn't be exposed to, because it's "too distracting".

I didn't say anything. If I pointed out that she was in a remarkably good mood, she'd hide it immediately, and I wanted to keep her happy to keep her unsuspecting.

»Lynxth, honey. Listen«

My aunt suddenly said. I waited for her to say more, but then realised she was referring to the music.

🎶 Just wanna da-da-dance you off

So don't you da-da-dare wait up 🎶

It sounded like a song Fiona would listen too, and definitely something my aunt would call trash.

»Mr. Byström is an affiliate of the singer. He's quite a big deal«

Of course.

My aunt is only interested in this song, because Fiona's father has a connection to the artist. She says Mr. Byström works with many famous, Swedish musicians, but I don't know why she's so interested in that. Maybe it's because she's looking for someone for herself. Her husband passed away before I was born. Though I don't understand her disliking towards Fiona. Surely you'd try to like someone's child, if you were trying to be friends with them.

»What has he done to get so popular? The singer?«

I asked.

»Why do you want to know that?«

»Because you said he's a big deal. And I'm curious«

»It's this music show. Byström really likes it, but it's not that popular when you get outside of Sweden. Nothing of your interest«

This was my aunt's way of saying that I shouldn't be more curious about this subject. It was clear that she hadn't expected me to ask, so her answer was contradicting her earlier statement. But I didn't care. I could always ask Fiona if I wanted to know who this "big deal" singer was

We finally arrived at the Winther's mansion. As always the four house dogs came to greet us, with Henrik's little sister, Agneta, right behind them. She's more like Fiona, with that I mean more lively than Henrik and their parents. Otherwise her and Fiona have nothing in common.

»Hello Mrs. Rosenberg. Hello... miss Lynxth«

Agneta said and gave a little curtsy as we walked towards her with my bag. She looked after me with a glare in her eyes. I don't think she has looked at me in any other way.

I remember asking my aunt, why she always gave me that look and why she always seemed annoyed around me. My aunt answered:

»Don't take it personally, sweetie. Agneta is a young girl, and it's normal for young girls, like her, to feel envious towards older girls, like you«

I then asked her why she acted like that, since I didn't at that age, and my aunt simply answered, that Agneta was just raised differently.

Since Agneta doesn't like me, I don't talk to her, but I do know she likes horse riding, teacup dogs and boybands.

As we stepped into the house Mrs. Winther greeted us.

»Hello, darlings. I'm so glad to see you again, Lynxth«