Chapter Nineteen: Amelia Harper

The world has so many twists and turns but some things are so unpredictable or even imaginable. I ignored Spot and ran over to Elliott, sitting happily on the couch. I sighed and sat down on the floor in front of the couch.

                "Elli, can you please grab me your socks and shoes?" 

                "Is everything okay, Momma?" Elli frowned, putting his sippy cup down. 

                "Uncle Anthony is sick and he really misses you so you're going to go visit him while I check up on daddy, okay?" 

                "Is he okay?"

                 "He's okay," I nodded. "But we just want to make sure we're there for him to make him happy, alright?"

                  "Okay, Momma," Elli nodded before climbing off the bed to go grab his stuff. I am so lucky my kid is good. I have no clue what I'd do if he wasn't. 

                   I headed over to the coat closet and grabbed our jackets before peering out the window to make sure Sean was gone. Sure enough, he was. 

                   I put my jacket on and sat on the floor, waiting for Elliott. He runs over with a pair of sneakers and his socks before plopping down on the floor.

                 I quickly helped him get them on and his jacket. "Go get your sippy cup please."

                 "Okay, mommy!" Elliott replied before running over to the couch to grab his cup before running back to me. I grabbed the keys, locked the door, and headed over to the car. I lifted him in, buckled him up then got in the car and pulled out. 

                I turned on some music to try and distract Elliott and me but it wasn't working. I can't believe Anthony is in the hospital and I can't believe that Payton is dead. The whole time I have known Corey, his goal has been to provide a good life for Payton, and now he's gone.

              I felt my eyes fill with a few tears but I quickly blinked them away. I have to be strong for Elliott and I have to be strong for Corey. Within a few minutes, we had finally arrived at the hospital. 

            I climbed out of the car, got Elliott out, and walked with him to the hospital entrance. It's crazy how many mixed feelings this place brings. It's a place of happiness as that was where I had Elliott but also a place of sadness and fear with all the people mourning and praying for their family members to make it out alright. Just the thought of hospitals is enough to make me nauseous. 

            "Hello Mrs. Harper," the lady at the front desk said quietly. She was rather familiar with me because of Corey. It made things easier whenever we had to check in here but still a little weird. "I am so sorry"

            "Thank you," I nodded. I never know how to reply with this kind of stuff. It's just hard for my head to register. I'm known for being so emotional but whenever something bad happens, it's like I emotionally flatline. I cut all my thoughts out and distract myself till the empty space where the person used to be fills itself automatically, not being registered by emotions, but by time. 

            "He's in room 208."

             "Thank you so much. Can you also please tell me which room Anthony Higgins is in?" I asked, holding Elliott's hand as he stood next to me. 

             "Room 475," she replied.

             208. 475. 

             "Thank you so much," I replied, the lady nodding. "Come on honey."

              Elliott walks with me over to the elevator and clicks the up arrow. The elevator dings seconds later and the doors open up. We walked in and went towards the back wall.

             "Can I click the button?" Elliott asked, a small smile forming across his face. It's crazy the things that make little kids happy.

               I nodded, "Can you press the four please?"

              "Okay!" He walked over to the buttons, stood on his tiptoes, and pressed the four buttons. 

               "I did it!" He grinned before the doors shut. They always talk about the light at the end of the tunnel, and for me, he is the light.

               "Good job," I smiled back at him and gave him a high-five.

                 The elevators goes up to the fourth floor before opening up to a quiet floor. I hate the quiet sound. For some reason, the silence just registers as something bad in my head. I would probably go insane if I had to work here.

                Elliott took my hand and we started down the hall, "Can you look for room 475?"

                "Okay," Elliott nods, looking around at all the room numbers.

                "Oh hey, Lia," Albert said from behind me.

                "Hey, Al," I replied as I turned around. "How's he doing?"

               "He's doing good," Albert smiled before it fades, "I'm sorry about..."

               "Thanks," I nod. 

                "Do you need us to watch Elliott for a bit? Corey got off of work to deal with stuff..." Albert replied, trying to be careful with his word choice around Elliott.

                "Could you please? I didn't really mention anything yet," I replied, and sighed before looking down at Elliott.

                "No problem," He nodded before kneeling down to Elliott's level. "Hey, buddy! Do you want to go visit uncle, Anthony?"

                 "Yes please!" Elliott smiled brightly. "Is momma coming?"

                  "I have to go do something real quick but I'll be back in a bit," I replied to Elliott.

               "Okay, Momma," He nodded. I bent down and hugged him before he ran over to Albert and took his hand. 

                  I mouthed a thank you to Albert before heading over to the elevator to check on Corey, a million thoughts racing through my head. I was so close to tears but I wasn't going to let it happen. For now, blocking the tears out is the best. I have to be strong.