Chapter Twenty-Two: Anthony Higgins

It's been a while since I was discharged from the hospital and things have yet to get back to normal. I'm no longer sore (thank goodness) but I still can't wrap my head around the reality of what happened. 

                I can't remember what happened either. I remember practically everything that led up to it. I remember dressing for the date, I remember heading to the restaurant, then seeing Sean, and leaving. I can't remember a thing after that. 

               My sister and Albert took me in while I was healing and I've just been staying there since. I didn't want to bother Corey or Amelia any longer, despite the fact they said it was fine. Planning a funeral is hard enough. They don't need another person living in their house and bothering them. 

              "Good morning, sleepyhead," My sister says as she walks past the couch and towards the kitchen. 

               I sigh and yawn, "Good morning."

                "How are you feeling?" She asks, putting on chapstick near the kitchen table. The living room is wide open and backed up to the kitchen.

               "I'm alright," I say, sitting up and stretching a little. 

               "Good," She grins and ruffles my hair, "I've got to head to work. Al left for the gym so you'll be alone with Mel today."

                I narrow my eyebrows as she messes with my hair and I rub my eyes. "Okay."

               "Bye Ant."

               "Bye Bev," I say as she leaves. I sigh and get up to make myself some coffee. 

(Just a little reminder, Beverley is Race's twin sister and Melissa is Albert's little sister. You may have remembered that but I know I have a trash memory so I'm just adding it in case you need it).

              I go over to the old coffee machine and begin brewing myself a cup as Melissa comes into the room. "Hey! You're awake early."

            "Too early," I mutter.

             She laughs, "Any time before 12 is too early for you."

             "Touche," I say as my coffee finishes up. I grab the coffee and take a seat as she sits at the table and begins going through her mail which was stacked in a big pile in the middle of the table. 

          I take my cup and sit down at the table slowly sipping my coffee.

         She tears the letter open and begins reading it as I glance over towards the window. 

        "Of course, the bills went up," She muttered. They apparently have something where they switch who pays the bills each month. This month, it's Mel's turn.

          "Uh oh," I mumble.

         "It went up by $22," She sighed putting the paper on the table. 

         "Seriously?"

         "Unfortunately yes," She sighs. "Well, I'm going to have to head out in a few minutes to the theater. Do you think you could be ready within the next fifteen minutes?"

         "Ready for wh- Oh yeah. Yeah," I sigh. Today's my first day back at work. How could I have forgotten already?    

          "Great," She smiles before getting up and running to get ready. 

            I sigh and grab an on-the-go cup, pour my coffee into it, and head to get dressed. I really have not been missing wearing a button-up shirt. That's Davey's thing. Certainly not mine. Sean even looks ho- No! What am I saying? Why is that jerk in my head? Ugh!

           I head over to my closet, grab a light blue button-up and some formal pants, and quickly get dressed. I comb my hair, brush my teeth then head out into the living room, grabbing my coffee cup.

          "Ready?" Mel asks, coming out into the living room. wearing a black shirt, a denim jacket, a pair of denim shorts, white converse, and a two layered necklace. Sometimes I'm jealous of what she gets to wear to work. She works at the local theater and directs the choreography. How she dances in that outfit, I'll never understand.

        "Sure am," I reply and sigh.

        "Come on, Ant, it won't be that bad," She smiles before heading to the door.

         "Yeah right," I reply. "Pulitzer is whiney and Romeo has off today so we can't mess with him."

          She laughs, "There will be plenty of other days."

          "Plus-" I start before shaking my head, "Nevermind."

           We head out of the apartment and out to the parking lot, "Come on. What's up?"

            "Sean's going to be there," I sigh walking over to her car. 

           "That doesn't mean you have to talk to him if you don't want," She says, sighing, "But maybe hear him out?"

            "I don't want to hear that jerk out! For all I know he's kissing a coworker in the bathroom or something!" 

            "I get you're worried about the whole cheating thing but I'm sure he didn't cheat on you. He loves you," She says getting in the car. 

            "Sure," I say and get in after her.

            She sighs and looks down at the small screen in her car. "Music?"

             "Sure," I mumble and look out the window. She's changing the subject and I'm so grateful for it. I bet he was the reason I got in the car crash. I just can't stand him. 

             She turns on the music and of course, it's by Panic! At the Disco. 

              "Had to have high high hopes for a living," The radio sings. 

              "Maybe-" She says quickly turning off the music, "We should just take in the scenery."

             I sigh and look out the window, drinking my coffee. Today is going to be a terrible day.