Chapter Thirty-Three: Racetrack Higgins

I hate my life. Why do I work here? Why do I have to work with Sean? And why does he have a ridiculous smile plastered across his face? This job is not an excuse for Sean to spend time with me or attempt to whisk me off my feet which he assumes he can just do. All day has been miserable. I can't believe I'm going to have to go through this again and again.

I stare at my computer, swiping through endless celebrity accounts. All people who have a much better life than I do.

"Find anything?" I ask. He doesn't even look up from his computer to reply.

"Nope," Sean replies, continuing to scroll on his mouse pad. "I mean, there's always drama with the Kardashians so we could do something on them."

I shrug. "They've already had a show on the air for nearly two decades. I don't think anyone really cares enough. And if they did, I think they'd probably just watch the show. Or go to some other pop culture news outlet."

"I guess. Do you have any ideas then?" He asks, finally looking up.

"No."

"We'll just have to keep looking then," he replies, happily.

It's really getting on my nerves. I hate that Pulitzer gave me this job. I hate that I am literally sitting across from him and that he's taking this like it's nothing.

"Okay, what is up with you?!" I snap.

"What do you mean?" He narrows his eyebrows.

"That big smile on your face! The way you're getting through this like it's a totally normal occasion!"

"It's not because of you if that's what your thinking," He says. "My mind is just somewhere else. On someone else."

I pause for a second before talking. "Y-you met someone?"

"Yeah. I met this Zeke guy at the bar last night. He's a police officer too. He's got some really pretty blonde hair and stunning green eyes. So don't worry. I'll be off your back for a while," He explains.

"Wow," I reply.

I try to let it all sink in. It's incredibly weird hearing your ex talk about some new guy, I have to say. It's even weirder when you realize it's the guy you crushed on earlier that night. Corey's brother.

Seconds later, Sean's phone buzzes from across the table. I know I shouldn't be paying attention to his texts, but I can't help it. Is it Zeke?

My eyes find their way over to the phone, reading a text from Davey.

Hey! Jessica and I just did some deep searching and found out he's actually Corey's brother. He gave us his number so you can talk to him before your date night.

Sean smiles and picks up the phone, beginning to text.

I can't believe Zeke is going for him. I glance up at the clock and let out a breath of relief.

"Well, I guess the day is over. Good luck on your date," I mumble.

"Date?" He begins but I'm already out of the room.

I walk out the door and straight down to the first floor, furious.

    "Anthony, where are you going?" Jessica asks, walking towards me.

     I ignore her and go straight out of the building.

      "You know David and I said we'd give you a ride to the house," She says, following me out the door. Davey trails behind her down the sidewalk.

      "I don't want it!" I hiss as I walk.

      "What's wrong?" Davey asks.

       I force a laugh and stop in my tracks. I turn around to face them, about ready to explode.

     "What's wrong? What's wrong?! What's wrong is you guys convince me to flirt with some guy and then give Sean the guys number the next day!"

     "They got together last night!" Jessica says. "After dinner. How am I expected to know that was going to happen?"

      "You aren't EXPECTED to know it was going to happen. I'm not stupid. You could, at least, not give the guy his number. Or at least told me. A little 'Hey Anthony! Just so you know before you spend the next eight hours with the guy, he got with Corey's brother late last night. Just thought you should know before things went any further or you thought about talking to him'".

      "We honestly thought you'd be happy," Davey mumbles.

       "Happy that my ex took the only guy I've showed interest in within the past few months? You know, since my life fell apart?!" I hiss.

      "We're sorry, Anthony," Jessica says.

      "I don't care," I mutter. "I'll see you two tomorrow. I'll walk myself home. I could use the exercise."

      I continue down the side walk, my thoughts spiraling. I am livid. I could explode. Seriously.

      I walk down what feels like a million blocks before reaching Amelia and Corey neighborhood, or my temporary home.

     I reach the doorstep and use my key to get inside.

      "Hey, are you alright?" Corey asks as I slam the front door behind me.

      "You know I'm not."

      "Things hard with Sean?" He asks.

       "Yeah, because of you," I mutter, sliding my shoes off.

     "What?"

     "You gave Sean Zeke's number."

     "I just thought that could help you get him off of your back. You're always saying he's been annoying you since the break up," Corey explains.

     "But you gave him the number of one of the only guys I've liked at all lately! Now that jerk is wandering around going on dates with him and I'm alone! I'm the one who should be with someone, not him!"

     "And you'll find someone! You're a great guy, Anthony. It shouldn't be hard at all," Corey says, calmly.

    I for one, am not calm. I want to tear Sean's head off or light something on fire.

     "Yeah right," I mutter.

     "You will."

     I shake my head. "I'm going to go lay down."

      "Anthony..."

      I continue walking towards the guest bedroom and shut the door behind me. I fall to the ground, resting my head in my knees. This is miserable.