Pilot

Sam and Jess laid in bed, asleep back to back.

Jess shifted positions.

A sound outside the room like a window opening caused Sam to open his eyes.

Sam left the bedroom and looked around the apartment.

A window was open; although he remembered that earlier it had been closed.

A man walked past the strings of beads at the far end of the hall.

Sam moved to another part of the apartment and waited.

The man entered the room.

Sam lunged forward and grabbed the man at the shoulder.

The man knocked Sam's arm away and aimed a strike at Sam, who ducked. The man grabbed Sam's arm, swung him around, and shoved him back.

Sam kicked and blocked, then pushed back into another room.

The man elbowed Sam in the face; Sam kicked at his head. The man ducked and swung and Sam blocked. The man knocked Sam down and pinned him to the floor, one hand at Sam's neck and the other holding Sam's wrist. "Whoa, easy, tiger," the guy said

Sam breathed hard "Dean?"

Dean laughed

"You scared the crap out of me!"

"That's 'cause you're out of practice," Dean said.

Sam grabbed Dean's hand and yanked, slamming his heel into Dean's back and Dean to the floor

"Or not," Dean grunted.

Sam tapped Dean twice where he was holding him

"Get off of me,"

Sam rolled to his feet and pulled Dean up "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Well, I was looking for a beer," Dean put his hands on Sam's shoulders, shook once, and let go.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Sam repeated

"Okay. All right. We gotta talk,"

"Uh, the phone?"

"If I'd called, would you have picked up?"

Jess turned the light on. She was wearing very short shorts and a cropped Smurfs shirt. "Sam?" she asked

Sam and Dean turned their heads in unison

"Jess. Hey. Dean, this is my girlfriend, Jessica," Sam introduced.

"Dean looked at her appreciatively

"Wait, your brother Dean?" Jess smiled.

Sam nodded.

Dean grinned at her and moved closer "You know, I gotta tell you. You are completely out of my brother's league. Anyway, I gotta borrow your boyfriend here, talk about some private family business. But, uh, nice meeting you,"

"No," Sam said as he went over to Jess and put an arm around her "No, whatever you want to say, you can say it in front of her,"

"Okay." Dean turned to look at them both straight on "Um. Dad hasn't been home in a few days,"

"So he's working overtime on a Miller Timeshift. He'll stumble back in sooner or later,"

Dean ducked his head and looked back up "Dad's on a hunting trip. And he hasn't been home in a few days,"

Sam's expression didn't change while he took this in. Jess glanced up at him "Jess, excuse us. We have to go outside,"

***