Phantom Traveler

"Mornin' sunshine," Sam greeted Dean.

"What time is it?" Dean groaned.

"It's about 5:45,"

"In the morning?"

"Yep,"

"Where does the day go?" Dean turned over in the bed and saw Sam was holding two things of coffee. "Did you sleep last night?"

"Yeah, I grabbed a couple of hours,"

"Liar..." Rae revealed herself, "You were up at 3:00 watching a George Foreman Infomercial,"

"Hey, what can I say? It's riveting tv. You watch us sleep?"

Rae shrugged. "Bits and pieces. Kind of feels like a scratched-up record player that skips a few parts,"

"Do you want to move on?" Dean asked.

Rae looked Dean in the eyes. "Do you want me to?"

Dean cleared his throat and looked at Sam. "When was the last time you got a good night's sleep?"

"A little while, I guess. It's not a big deal," Sam shrugged.

"Yeah, it is,"

"I appreciate your concern,"

"It's not you he's concerned about," Rae revealed. "It's him he's concerned for. After all, I'm not here all the time to save your asses,"

"You still having nightmares about Jess?" Dean wondered.

"And I know where this going, so I'm out...." Rae snapped her fingers.

Dean quirked an eyebrow "Was that supposed to do something?"

"I don't know. I'm still trying to get a handle on this whole, you know...being dead thing." Rae pointed towards the door. "I'm just gonna..." she placed a hand on the doorknob, but it just phased through. "Oh...come on!" Rae huffed as she just simply walked through the door.

Dean smirked as he watched her leave. Dean's cell phone rang, leaving the boy confused. "Hello?"

"Dean, it's Jerry Pankowski. You and your dad helped me out a couple of years back,"

"Oh, right, yeah, up in Kittanning, Pennsylvania. The poltergeist thing. It's not back, is it?"

"No. No," Jerry chuckled. "Thank god, no. But it's something else, and, well, I think it could be a lot worse,"

"What is it?"

"Can we talk in person?"

***

"Thanks for making the trip so quick." Jerry said, "I ought to be doing you guys a favor, not the other way around. He looked over at Sam. "Dean and your dad helped out,"

"Yeah, he told me." Sam nodded. "It was a poltergeist?"

"'Poltergeist'?" A worker asked, "I loved that movie,"

"Hey, nobody's talking to you." Jerry snapped, "Keep walking." He turned back towards the brothers. "Damn right, it was a poltergeist...Practically tore our house apart. Tell you something...if it wasn't for you and your dad, I probably wouldn't be alive." Jerry looked over at Sam. "Your dad said you were off at college. Is that right?"

"Yeah," Sam replied, "I was. I'm...taking some time off,"

"Well, he was real proud of you. I could tell. He talked about you all the time,"

"He did?"

"Yeah, you bet he did. Hey, I tried to get ahold of him, but I couldn't. How's he doing, anyway?"

"He's, um," Dean cleared his throat, "wrapped up in a job right now,"

"Well, we're missing the old man. We get Sam. Even trade, huh?"

"No, not by a long shot," Sam mused.

"I got something I want you guys to hear," Jerry led the boys into his office. "I listened to this. Well, it sounded like it was up your alley. Normally I wouldn't have access to this. It's the cockpit voice recorder for United Britannia Flight 2485. It was one of ours,"

"Mayday! Mayday!" A pilot said on the recording, "Repeat! This is United Britania 2485-immediate instruction help!"

"United Britannia 2485, I copy your message...." Another voice said.

"May be experiencing some mechanical failure...."

A loud whooshing sound took over the remainder of the recording.

"Took off from here, crashed about 200 miles south," Jerry explained. "Now, they're saying mechanical failure. The cabin depressurized somehow. Nobody knows why. Over 100 people are on board. Only seven got out alive. The pilot was one. His name is Chuck Lambert. He's a good friend of mine. Chuck is, uh...well, he's pretty broken up about it, like it was his fault,"

"You don't think it was?" Sam asked.

"No, I don't,"

"Jerry, we're gonna need passenger manifests," Sam reasoned. "A list of survivors...."

"Right." Dean agreed. "And anyway, we can take a look at the wreckage?"

"The other stuff is no problem," Jerry replied, "but the wreckage...fellas, the NTSB has it locked down in an evidence warehouse. No way I've got that kind of clearance,"

"No problem," Dean nodded.

***

Sam looked up as Dean walked out of Copy Jack. "You've been in there forever,"

Dean showed Sam two fake IDs. "You can't rush perfection,"

Sam looked the ID over. "Homeland Security? That's pretty illegal, even for us,"

"Yeah, well, it's something new, you know? People haven't seen it a thousand times," Dean sighed as he got in the Driver's side of the Impala. "All right, so, what do you got?"

"Well, there's EVP on the cockpit voice recorder," Sam revealed.

"Yeah?"

"Listen,"

Sam pressed play on his computer.

"No survivors," A voice called out on the recording.

Dean raised an eyebrow "No survivors? What's that supposed to mean? There were seven survivors,"

"Got me," Sam shrugged.

"So, what are you thinking? A haunted flight?"

"There's a long history of spirits and death omens on planes and ships, like phantom travelers. Or remember flight 401?"

"Right...the one that crashed, the airline salvaged its parts, put it in other planes, then the spirit of the pilot and copilot haunted those flights,"

"Right. Maybe we got a similar deal,"

"So, survivors...which one do you want to talk to first?"

"Max Jaffey," Rae said from the backseat

"Why him?" Dean asked as he turned to face her.

"He's around here. And if anyone saw anything weird, he did,"

"What makes you say that?" Sam questioned.

"Where do most people go when they see dead people?"