Wendigo [3]

The group had built a campfire, and Dean looked over a page in the journal, the writing inside reflecting that of a female's.

Sam walked over and saw the symbols that Dean was drawing in the dirt "where'd you learn that?"

"They're Anasazi symbols." Dean explained, dodging Sam's actual question "It's for protection. The Wendigo can't cross over them,"

Roy laughed, gun over his shoulder.

"Nobody likes a skeptic, Roy," Dean taunted as he took a seat at the edge of the campsite. He looked up at Sam "You wanna tell me what's going on in that freaky head of yours?"

"Dean..." Sam started.

"No, you're not fine. You're like a powder keg, man, it's not like you. I'm supposed to be the belligerent one, remember?"

"Dad's not here." Sam said "I mean, that much we know for sure, right? He would have left us a message, a sign, right?"

"Yeah, you're probably right. Tell you the truth, I don't think Dad's ever been to Lost Creek,"

"Then let's get these people back to town and let's hit the road. Go find Dad. I mean, why are we still even here?"

"This is why," Dean held up John's journal. "This book. This is Dad's single most valuable possession-everything he knows about every evil thing is in here. And he's passed it on to us. I think he wants us to pick up where he left off. You know, saving people, hunting things. The family business,"

Sam shook his head "That makes no sense. Why doesn't he just call us? Why doesn't he tell us what he wants, tell us where he is?"

"I dunno." Dean shrugged "But the way I see it, Dad's giving us a job to do, and I intend to do it,"

"Dean...no. I gotta find Dad. I gotta find Jessica's killer. It's the only thing I can think about,"

"Okay, all right, Sam, we'll find them, I promise. Listen to me. You've gotta prepare yourself. I mean, this search could take a while, and all that anger, you can't keep it burning over the long haul. It's gonna kill you. You gotta have patience, man,"

Sam looked down "How do you do it? How does Dad do it?"

Dean looked over at Haley and Ben "Well for one, them,"

Sam looked over at Haley and Ben.

"I mean, I figure our family's so screwed to hell, maybe we can help some others. Makes things a little bit more bearable. I'll tell you what else helps,"

Sam looked back at Dean.

Dean smirked "Killing as many evil sons of bitches as I possibly can,"

Sam smiled.

"Help me! Please!" A voice called out.

Dean stood and readied his gun.

"Help!"

Sam shined a flashlight around.

"He's trying to draw us out." Dean told the group "Just stay cool, stay put,"

"Inside the magic circle?" Roy asked sarcastically.

"Help! Help me!" The voice called out again before turning into a series of growls.

Roy pointed his gun at the sound "Okay, that's no grizzly,"

"It's okay. You'll be all right, I promise," Haley assured Ben. She shrieked when something rushed past.

"It's here," Sam said.

Roy shot at the rustling, then again. "I hit it!" he went to see what he hit.