Wendigo [2]

The group hiked through the forest, Roy in the lead, then Dean, Haley, Ben, and Sam brought up the rear.

"Roy, you said you did a little hunting," Dean said.

"Yeah, more than a little," Roy replied.

"Uh0huh. What kind of furry critters do you hunt?"

"Mostly buck, sometimes bear,"

Dean passed Roy "Tell me, uh, Bambi or Yogi ever hunt you back?"

Roy grabbed Dean.

"Whatcha doing, Roy?"

Roy grabbed a stick and poked the bear trap Dean had almost stepped in. "You should watch where you're stepping, Ranger," he dropped the stick and retook the lead.

Haley caught up to Dean "you didn't pack any provisions. You guys are carrying a duffel bag. You're not rangers," she grabbed Dean's arm "So who the hell are you?"

Ben got past Haley and Dean.

Sam looked at Dean, who indicated with his expression that Sam was to go on by; Sam obeyed.

Dean watched Sam go for a moment "Sam and I are brothers, and we're looking for our father." He admitted "He might be here, we don't know. I just figured that you and me, we're in the same boat,"

"Why didn't you just tell me that from the start?" Haley demanded.

"I'm telling you now. 'Sides, it's probably the most honest I've ever been with a woman..." Dean stopped as he thought about Rae "...in a while. So we okay?"

"Yeah, okay,"

"And what do you mean I didn't pack provisions?" Dean pulled out a big bag of peanut M&Ms and stuck his hand in the bag as he hiked on.

***

"This is it." Roy declared "Blackwater ridge,"

"What coordinates are we at?" Sam asked.

Roy pulled out a GPS which read N 35, W 111 00.55. "Thirty-five and minus one-eleven,"

Dean came up to Sam. "You hear that?"

Sam stopped to listen "Yeah. not even crickets,"

"I'm gonna go take a look around," Roy said.

"You shouldn't go off by yourself,"

"That's sweet. Don't worry about me," Roy waved his gun and pushed between Dean and Sam to take the lead.

Dean turned back to the others as Ben and Haley caught up. "All right, everybody stays together. Let's go,"

***

Sam, Dean, Ben, and Haley were looking around near a large rock.

"Haley!" Roy called out "Over here!'

Haley ran towards Roy's voice, followed closely by the others.

The group came to a halt once they reached the site.

"Oh my God," Haley gasped.

The tents were torn open and bloody and all the supplies were scattered.

"Looks like a grizzly," Roy proclaimed.

Dean and Haley looked around.

"Tommy?" Haley took off her backpack and went through the campsite. "Tommy!"

Sammy moved to catch up with Haley. "Shh,"

"Tommy!" Haley called out, ignoring Sam.

"Shh-hh-hh!"

"Why?!" Haley snapped.

"Something might still be out there,"

"Sam!" Dean called over.

Sam went over to Dean, snapping a stick, and crouched next to Dean.

"The bodies were dragged from the campsite." Dean explained "But here, the tracks just vanish. That's weird,"

Dean and Sam stood up.

"I'll tell you what, that's no skinwalker or black dog," Dean went back to the campsite and Sam followed.

Haley picked up Tom's cell phone; it was bloody. She cried as she turned the phone over and the back was open.

Dean crouched next to her "Hey, he could still be alive,"

Haley gave Dean a look.

"Help!" A voice cried "Help!"

Roy leads the way as everyone ran to the aid of the shouter.

"Help! Somebody!"

There was nobody there.

"It seemed like it was coming from around here, didn't it?" Haley asked.

"Everybody back to camp," Sam ordered.

***

Back at the campsite, all the supplies were missing.

"Our packs!" Haley exclaimed.

"So much for my GPS and my satellite phone," Roy muttered.

"What the hell is going on?"

"It's smart. It wants to cut us off so we can't call for help," Sam reasoned.

"You mean someone, some nutjob out there just stole our gear," Roy argued.

Dean heard a soft thud behind him and turned to see his father's journal on the ground. He knelt down to pick it back up, figuring it must have gotten loose after running after the mystery creature. Dean stopped when he saw the book open and the pages flutter. "Rae?"

The pages stopped, landing on a page.

"Sammy!" Dean called his brother over. "All right, check this out," he handed the opened journal over to Sam.

"Oh come on, Wendigos are in Minnesota woods or, or northern Michigan," Sam argued "I've never even heard of one this far west,"

"Think about it, the claws, the way it can mimic a human voice." Dean sighed in defeat as he took out his pistol "Which means this is useless,"

"We gotta get these people to safety," Sam said as he handed the journal back to Dean. He headed back to the campsite "All right, listen up, it's time to go. Things have gotten...more complicated,"

"What?" Haley asked in dismay.

"Kid, don't worry. Whatever's out there, I think I can handle it," Roy said.

"It's not me I'm worried about." Sam admitted "If you shoot this thing, you're just gonna make it mad. We have to leave. Now,"

"One, you're talking nonsense. Two, you're in no position to give anybody orders,"

"Relax," Dean said.

"We never should have let you come out here in the first place, all right? I'm trying to protect you," Sam argued.

Roy stepped right into Sam's space. "You protect me?" he laughed "I was hunting these woods when your mommy was still kissing you good night,"

"Yeah?" Sam challenged 'It's a damn near perfect hunter. It's smarter than you, and it's gonna hunt you down and eat you alive unless we get your stupid sorry ass out of here,"

Roy laughed "You know you're crazy, right?"

"Yeah? You ever hunt a Wen..."

Dean pushed Sam to shut him up. "Chill out,"

"Stop." Haley argued "Stop it. Everybody just stop. Look. Tommy might still be alive. And I'm not leaving here without him,"

"It's getting late." Dean pointed out "This thing is a good hunter in the day, but an unbelievable hunter at night. We'll never beat it, not in the dark. We need to settle in and protect ourselves,"

"How?"