Pilot [2]

The Impala was parked in front of a pump.

Dean came out of the convenience mart carrying junk food.

Sam was sitting in the shotgun seat with the door open, rifling through a box of tapes.

"Hey!" Dean greeted.

Sam leaned out and looked at him

"You want breakfast?"

"No, thanks," Sam told him "So how'd you pay for that stuff? You and Dad still running credit card scams?"

"Yeah, well, hunting ain't exactly a pro ball career." Dean said as he put the nozzle back on the pump "Besides, all we do is apply. It's not our fault they send us the cards,"

"Yeah? And what names did you write on the application this time?" Sam swung his legs back inside the car and closed the door.

"Uh, Burt Aframian." Dean got into the driver's seat and put his soda and chips down "And his son Hector. Scored two cards out of the deal," Dean closed the door.

"That sounds about right. I swear, man, you've gotta update your cassette tape collection,"

There were at least a dozen cassettes in the box on Sam's lap; some had album art, others were hand-labeled.

"Why?" Dean asked

"Well, for one, they're cassette tapes. And two." Sam held up a tape for every band he named "Black Sabbath? Motorhead? Metallica?"

Sam stopped when he came across a box labeled Rae's Playlist and picked it up, before a word could be spoken, Dean took it out of his hands while also grabbing the box labeled Metallica.

"Well, house rules, Sammy." Dean popped the tape in the player "Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole," Dean dropped the Metallica back in the box of tapes and started the engine.

"You know, Sammy is a chubby twelve-year-old. It's Sam, okay?" Sam snipped.

Dean purposefully turned up the music as Sam talked "Sorry, I can't hear you, the music's too loud," Dean drove off and they passed a sign that said Jericho 7.

***

"Thank you," Sam closed his phone "All right. So, there's no one matching Dad at the hospital or morgue. So that's something, I guess,"

Dean glanced over at Sam, then back at the road.

At a bridge ahead of them, there were two police cars and several officers.

"Check it out," Dean said.

Sam leaned forward for a closer look.

Dean pulled over.

They took a long look before Dean turned off the engine.

Dean opened the glove compartment and pulled out a box full of ID cards with his and John's faces. He picked one out and grinned at Sam, who stared. "Let's go," Dean got out of the car.

Dean and Sam walked into the crime scene as if they belonged there.

"So, this kid Troy." Deputy Jaffe said, "He's dating your daughter, isn't he?"

"Yeah," Heinn replied.

"How's Amy doing?"

"She's putting up missing posters downtown,"

"You fellas had another one like this just last month, didn't you?" Dean asked.

Deputy Jaffe looked up when Dean started talking and straightened up to talk to him "And who are you?"