37

Rowan's POV:

It has been a short two weeks of preparation and now we are preparing to set out. The snow has melted a bit, but it is still terribly cold out. However, we are lucky that some of our scouts have rode out have set up two paths that will surround Vayl from two angles, and some of the villages along the way have offered us shelter during our path.

It seems as though everyone has suffered at the hand of the Vayl guards. They seem to raid every village they can and so many people seem desperate to have us take back Vayl. They have offered food, shelter, and their own skilled people to join our army.

I pat the horse that I will be riding on the neck, and while it a beautiful steed, I miss my horse that is still in Vayl. I will definitely be getting my horse and Ciaran's back.

"Rowan."

I turn and see Ciaran, holding two satchel-style bags, and he hands one to me. "Ciaran, my lovely," I say, lifting my arm and pulling him into my side. "I missed you this morning."

He was not in bed when I woke up, and I had panicked until I ran into a guard who told me he was going over some last minute plans with Kassandra.

"I wanted to speak with Kass," he tells me, kissing my lips and taking my hands in his own. "We leave soon, I just want to make sure she knows the full plan and-"

I cut him off with another kiss, making him gasp in surprise but he does not try to stop me. "Ciaran, she is a very good guard. I promise they will get there safe. It is our group I worry for."

"Why is that?" Ciaran asks, his eyebrows furrowed. "We are all good with our weapons and we have a strong team."

I chuckle, reaching down and palming his ass. "Because I cannot promise they will get sleep at night, with how loud you can be."

Ciaran gasps in shock and pushes me away. "Rowan! We are going to kill people, not to have sex in every single village we pass, you animal!"

"Your yelling turns me on."

He keeps glaring at me. "Sex fiend."

"Do not lie, you love it."

"I think you loved it more than me," Ciaran whispers, a wicked smile on his face while I blush.

Yes, he got to be in charge and fucked me for the first time about a week ago, and it was both amazing and terrifying at the same time. And yes, I was very loud and got some complaints from Patrick and Jameson because they were in charge of guarding my room that night, as requested by my father.

"I will not lie to you," I murmur, kissing the top of his head. "Is everyone ready to go?"

Ciaran hums. "Just finishing breakfast before they leave. Kassandra's group leaves later in the day, but she got up to make sure I was ready. By this time next week, we will hopefully be in my castle as victors."

"And you will be back on your throne where you belong," I say, and Ciaran blushes at the words. "You amaze me more and more every second we spend together."

He grins. "I am rather amazing," he comments, and I roll my eyes, kissing him on the lips and pushing him back against the side of the horse stall.

"Yes, so amazing," I mumble against his lips, pecking them once more before I pull away. "Come on, it must be almost time to go."

Ciaran gets on one of the horses as I open the doors to the stable.

The sun is low in the sky, a brisk cold breeze blowing in on us. It reminds me of when I returned with Ciaran for the first time to Arlian, when I had it in my head that I hated him. Little did I know that he would become the love of my life, the man I would give everything up to protect and keep safe.