40

Ciaran's POV:

Home does not feel like home. At least, not right now. Even though I am technically home and this nightmare is over, I am not comfortable in the castle whatsoever.

Last night, I met with my people, and announced to them what had happened. They all celebrated, and I feel so ashamed that I left them helpless in misery for so long.

I have not been able to sleep, and I have been moving around the castle since everyone retreated for the night. My bow and arrows have been in my hands, and I am waiting for an enemy who I did not catch to pop out in attempt to harm me.

It was easy to take my kingdom back because Vladimir and Daliah were targeting Arlian, so I am very grateful that Orin stepped in and assisted us. Gods, I would have ended my own life had Vladimir and Daliah's plan to harm Rowan's father succeeded, because even if they would say it was not my fault, I would blame me.

I turn around and ready my weapon when I hear the pattering of footsteps, but I relax when I see that it is only Rowan.

"I would appreciate if you did not waste an arrow on me," Rowan says, making me scoff and lower my weapons. "I forgot to mention: my cousin, aunt, and uncle were found hiding in a house in the village, and a couple of our guards are bringing them back to be charged in Arlian."

That relieves me, as I was so scared that they would end up escaping. A part of me knew they were here in the village, and they would be too scared to attack us, but it would not have surprised me if they had escaped and taken off to find people who hate us in order to take down Arlian and now Vayl.

Too bad Emily will never get to be a queen.

"I will not waste an arrow on you," I tell Rowan, rolling my eyes. "It would be such a shame to damage you, as I am mainly attracted to your looks."

Rowan hums, making his way toward me. "You look terrible."

"So charming," I say, sarcasm dripping from my tone. "I just... gods, I do not feel safe here. This castle is bigger than I remember... my foolish ancestors could not have settled for something smaller? Something more home-like? Something-"

Rowan cuts me off. "Something like Arlian?"

I did not want to say it, but he is right.

Being in Vayl feels... wrong.

I do not belong here... I want to go to Arlin, but I have a responsibility to protect my people and be the king that they deserve.

"I hate this place," I mumble, looking around the dark halls. "I... there are empty village houses. Can we go stay there?"

Rowan smiles tiredly, taking my hand. "Have you always disliked this castle?" he asks me.

"Yes," I respond, without hesitation. "Even before it was made into the place where I was held as a slave. My parents rarely let me go down to the town... it was usually Kass taking me behind their backs. This place was a prison and I have always despised living inside of these walls."

"How can you be a king here if you hate it so much?" Rowan asks me, sadness in his tone as we walk out into the brisk air.

I sigh deeply. "I have to do it for my people. I left them alone, oppressed, for years," I tell Rowan as we find one of the empty homes and walk inside the building, shut the door behind us.

We tell the guards at the front of the palace where we are going, and they all tell us to sleep well and give tired smiles. I had said that they should go to sleep and I would stay awake to stand guard, but the guards waved me off and claimed they were proud to do their job.