Chapter 1

//tw// mentions of blood and death

"A curse? There's no way."

"It's definitely a curse."

Bdubs glared at Xisuma hoping the whole thing was some sort of joke. "How does someone even get cursed?" He said, exasperated.

"I'm not really sure, it's all very peculiar," Xisuma said while flipping through an old, worn book, "lots of things could have caused it but none of them you would've done. Unless somehow you tried harnessing the power of necromancy with the help of your cult following and no one noticed."

"X this is serious, what's wrong with me?" Bdubs was sitting on a table inside of Xisuma's huge library while the helmet-wearing hermit looked through yellowing pages to try to diagnose him. Bdubs had been coughing violently every day for the past week.

"Bdubs I'm sorry but this isn't looking very good," Xisuma said, studying a crude diagram in a thin dark blue book.

"Why? What happened?" Bdubs said and leaned over to get a closer look at the diagram. There was a drawing of a man with dark circles under his eyes and hollow cheeks. His skin was very pale and red welts covered his arms and neck.

"That's stage 4," Xisuma said.

"Well how many stages are there?" Bdubs asked worriedly.

Xisuma hesitated, "6."

"Wait... do I have that?" Bdubs cried.

Xisuma moved closer to him and closed the book, "Well... you have something similar. A curse caused by unrequited love. If they don't love you back... it will get worse until eventually..." Xisuma trailed off.

Bdubs inhaled sharply and looked away from the admin.

"Bdubs?" Xisuma asked softly. After a moment with no response Xisuma spoke again, "I know this seems scary, and well, it is, but you're only in stage one. And there is a cure."

Bdubs looked up.

"I won't pry but think about who this person could be... the one you love, and go talk to them. I know it's hard to put yourself out there like this but think of this less as a curse, and more of an opportunity to tell them how you feel," Xisuma said.

"I don't know who it is..." Bdubs whispered.

"Of course you do! You love them for crying out loud," Xisuma said.

Bdubs shook his head, "you don't understand."

X looked at him with concern in his eyes but instead of trying to help he handed him the navy colored book and walked away.

Unrequited love. What a kick in the gut. Bdubs had known exactly who X was talking about and hearing it said, for fact that that person didn't love him back hurt worse than any of the stomach pains he'd had. A weird feeling of numbness came over him, there's no way any of this could be happening. He'd loved Doc for such a long time and he imagined Doc might've felt the same way. But he didn't...

He had barely stepped into his room when his body was seized by a coughing fit. He leaned against his wall, slightly dizzy from the sudden absence of oxygen. Eventually his breathing evened out and Bdubs slid to the floor, finally letting himself feel the pain of the day. He hugged his knees to his chest and let out a broken sob. Tears pricked the corners of his eyes and he sobbed until they fell, dripping down his caramel cheeks. He didn't know how long he sat there, but when he finally decided to get up someone knocked at his door. Hoping to recover from his breakdown he walked steadily to the door, only for all of his pain to come rising back up when he saw that, waiting outside his front door, was Doc.

Doc's POV

The door finally opened and Bdubs appeared. He looked tired and his eyes were red, like he had been crying. I decided not to say anything about it, hoping that he didn't want me to know he'd been crying anyway.

"I'm sorry I didn't message you before coming here, I just needed to borrow some sand and I hoped you wouldn't mind," I said, trying to ignore the way he flinched when I spoke.

"Oh yeah definitely, I've got plenty," Bdubs smiled.

"Thank you so much," I said, hoping I sounded as approachable as possible. Bdubs handed me a shulker box full of sand and after a few more thank-yous I couldn't not say something.

"Hey Bdubs are you okay? You seem... " I trailed off, not having the right word.

He stood up a bit taller and brushed his hand through his hair, probably trying to convince me he was alright, "Yeah I'm okay, I just had a bad day and need some sleep."

I nodded, not entirely convinced, "Well I'm always here to talk if you need it."

"Thanks Doc, you're a great... friend." The way he said the last word struck me. We were friends, right? I might even consider him my best friend. Why was he acting so strangely?

"Hey, um, I'm sorry if I did something to hurt you... you can tell me if I did,"

His posture drooped a little and he tilted his head down, "I know Doc..." he said quietly.

Not knowing what else I could say I thanked him one last time for the sand and flew off towards my base.

Bdubs' POV

I shut the door and thought back on Xisuma's words. I should have told him. But how could I... What if he doesn't love me back... I fought back an oncoming coughing fit before giving up and falling to the floor. The coughs racked my body and after they had settled down a bit I lowered my arm and there, on my white sleeve was blood. I have to tell him. I might not make it if I don't. I stood up quickly and ran to my elytra.

I trailed after Doc, trying to shout his name over the wind. Eventually, he turned around and gestured towards the ground below. I nodded and flew down to the rocky shoreline underneath us. Once on the ground I ran towards Doc, hope swelling in my chest. It was going to be okay. I was going to be loved by the most amazing person in the entire world. It was going to be okay.

"Doc I'm sorry, I have to tell you something," I said. He nodded and I watched as the breeze tousled his hair that was silvered by the moonlight. He was so beautiful, I was lucky I could almost call him mine.

I took a deep breath and began explaining, "I'm cursed," Doc's face fell into worry, "It's okay though, It's because of unrequited love... I'm not sure why I was chosen to be cursed, knowing they don't love me back hurts enough..." I trailed off and glanced at Doc. He looked like he felt bad for me. I continued. "This person- they make every day better and sometimes it feels like they are the reason my life is worth living. I-I love them so much, that being away from them hurts. They have a perfect smile and when they laugh- they just make me so happy and- and I've never loved anyone like this before. I can't even help it, when I see them it feels like my heart beats faster and I know it sounds cheesy but it's true and I think I am finally brave enough to tell them how I feel," I paused and took a deep breath, "Doc... It's you. I love you. I love you more than words can say and I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner but I love you. I feel so lucky to have gotten to know you and have so many good memories with you and I- I just love you."

He said nothing. I recoiled in horror, realizing I had just made the biggest mistake of my life.

"Bdubs... I..." He looked away, "I'm sorry,"

My heart broke.