Chapter 3

//tw// mentions of blood and death

Doc's POV

"Really Doc? A sunset picnic?"

"It's supposed to be romantic!" I argued.

Bdubs laughed, a sound I was delighted to hear. We were on a grassy cliff overlooking the ocean, the sun was steadily heading for the water bathing us in golden light. I spread out the blanket I had brought and handed Bdubs a sandwich.

"It's okay, I'm not hungry," he said, shoving the food away.

"Come on Bdubs you need to eat. I made them just for you," he was starting to look too skinny.

He took the food from my hand reluctantly and took a bite. "I didn't even know this place existed," he said.

"I accidentally found it one day and sometimes I come out here to be alone. It really feels like we're the only ones in the world back here."

"It's pretty," he said softly.

I said nothing for a moment. "Are you okay Bdubs?"

"I mean what do you think," he said a bit bitterly.

"Yeah I understand," I looked away from him.

"You don't though. You've never had someone break your heart before."

"I'm sorry I-"

"You don't get to be sorry Doc. You don't love me. It's okay. Just- I'm going to need a little bit of time here, I'm still- just give me some time."

"Of course Bdubs," his words stung slightly.

I laid down on my back after we had both finished eating, "lie down like this and close your eyes."

"Why?" he asked.

"Just do it," I said lightly. He laid down next to me and after a moment of hesitation closed his eyes.

"Listen to the water." We laid like that for a while, silent, as the sun sunk lower. The ocean lapped at the shore below us in a calm, rhythmic, fashion, every once in a while a bird would sing a pleasant melody. I even heard Bdubs respond with a matching tune.

"What does it make you think of?" I asked, finally breaking the silence.

He didn't say anything for a moment, "death."

I turned to face him, "Bdubs..."

He looked at me, "It's nice, it's like heaven."

"It reminds me of when I was younger, we used to live by a beach and sometimes I would sneak out at night to be close to it. I thought the waves could speak to me... I always felt safe," I replied, my voice soft with memories. Bdubs sat up and wrapped his arms around his knees. I sat up too and watched as the sun finally touched the water and began disappearing beyond the horizon.

"People do watch sunsets on dates right?" I asked.

Bdubs smirked, "yes I've heard it's romantic."

I smiled and looked at him. The golden light made his dark skin glow and his hair was tousled from the breeze. He was beautiful, there was no denying that. It should be easy to love someone that beautiful... but still, I didn't. I turned away, hoping he didn't notice me staring.

Finally the sun disappeared completely, leaving the sky a dark blue. Bdubs shivered.

"Are you cold?"

He shook his head, "no, no I'm okay-"

"Take my sweatshirt."

He laughed, "Doc really it's fine-"