°•|Chapter XII|•°

°•|Chapter XII|•°

The pleasant chime of the elevator swam freely in a fairy-like dance - gentle and graceful - into your ears. 

What comes with it is the sudden energy flowing through your legs, impatience beginning to grow as you wait for the doors of this metallic box to push themselves aside; allowing you access to the floor before you. 

Then, much to the Wachowski's pleasure - the doors opened revealing the top floor. 

There wasn't as much of offices up here than the rest of the building. Which was a good thing, as that meant fewer people and less potential trouble. Near the top left corner of the floor a metallic door that almost resembled a fire escape one; resided next to a workstation. "There," Tom set his sights on that very door. Striding towards it he pulled out the key card the receptionist had given him from his pocket. 

As he slide it across the key card entry system, you couldn't help but notice how quiet the place was. Nobody was up here except for you and the Wachowski's. Whilst you'll experience slight vertigo from peering down through the windows this high up, it seemed like a perfect place to work in peacefully. 

The sun was beginning to set, washing the city with its gentle, golden glow. You stood there, watching it peak from the gaps of the buildings surrounding the one you were in - transfixed, unaware of a door being opened followed by a buzz of acceptance. A hand took hold of your shoulder, turning you around to your left towards the door Tom had just opened. "Come on, [Y/N]. We can save the sightseeing for later," Maddie coaxed. You blinked in surprise. "Alright."

The two of you made your way through the door, racing up a narrow staircase behind Tom. Only to reach another door, which thankfully did not require another special key. After all, that would make the trip of retrieving Sonic's rings a tedious job. Not that you thought this entire journey was boring or a ravenous consumer of your time. In fact, you would've done anything to make it last longer.

Pushing back the twinge of sadness, you waited for Tom and Maddie to walk through the doorway before you too stepped out into the open on the rooftop.

A gentle, cold breeze brushed past you. The world seemed much more exhilarating when viewed from the skies. Maddie and Tom kneeled down before setting the duffle bag on the concrete platform. Following their example, you watched as the cop unzipped the bag - only to have a blue hedgehog burst out of it immediately. He waved his arms about, coughing dramatically with a pair of underwear pinned to his forehead. "Uhh... What were you keeping in this bag?!" He gagged, removing the undergarment off his head. "A jar of pickled farts?!" 

You stiffled a snort, whilst the Wachowskis both smiled: one amused and the other sheepish. "Alright, alright... What are we looking for?" Tom asked. Sonic speeds out of the bag and to the end of the platform. Grabbing a little brown pouch, before running back to you three. He held up one of his hands revealing a small golden ring resting between two fingers. "This!" 

"Okay... What happens now?" Maddie asked. 

"Now all I have to do is think of where I want the other end of the ring to appear and... I throw it." Tom looked surprised. "So that's it? We did it?"

"Yeah, we did it."

The air around the sheriff shifted a little. "Hey..." He frowned, grabbing your full attention. "Sorry we didn't get to do everything on your bucket list, pal."

Sonic's smile never wavered, but you can see in his eyes how he truly felt - bittersweet. "Its okay. I did the ones I needed the most." His brows furrowed more, as he quickly took a glance at you; uncertain. That same uncertainty held your heart in the palm of its hands. To think such an action would be all it takes to make your emotions abandon ship was astonishing. Oh, and you just realised that you were still sitting on the concrete with the duffle bag. Pushing yourself on your knees, you stood up next to Tom just as Maddie spoke. "You two are so cute, like -"