°•|Chapter IX|•°

°{Chapter IX}°

True to his word, you three left the motel at exactly eight in the morning.

No breakfast, no five minute break. It was straight into the silver Toyota, and continue the journey to San Francisco. 

With only a pile of rubber bands to feed your boredom, the ride so far was pretty quiet. That is until Sonic attempted at small talk, everything was okay. 

You stuck your head out of the open window, feeling the wind slap your face and rustle your [H/C] hair. Despite the heat from the morning sun, the air felt cool and somewhat pleasant. The smell of pinecones filled your nostrils as Tom drove past a grove of pine trees, giving you a sense of nostalgia for Green Hills. 

"So, what's on your bucket list?" Sonic asked, as you passed two brightly coloured signs placed together. 'Welcome to California' one said in yellow cursive writing, with a picture of Californian poppies. The sign below it read, 

'Siskiyou' 

'COUNTY LINE'

You guys have officially passed the border to California. 

"Me?" Tom asked. "Yeah, everyone has a bucket list, right?" Sonic continued. "Well, sure, but... I mean, you're the one leaving Earth and... I'm not planning on dying anytime soon." 

"Oh-ho-ho, don't be so sure. Your best friend is a magnet for danger," Sonic said, as if he already predicted when Tom's death would arrive. "Oh, already anointing yourself as the bestie," Said Tom, giving Sonic a nod that held fake unsureness. "Mmhmm," Sonic said confidently. 

However, Tom's expression did not change the slightest. "Little presumptuous, but... I mean... What? No, I-I like you, of course, but... y'know, we're not best friends." 

"You tucked me in last night," Sonic said, monotone. You snuck your head back in, just in time to hear Tom let out a snort of laugher. Sonic looked unamused, but nevertheless, he tried another attempt at getting the promotion of being crème de la crème friend to Tom. "Fine, fine, fine. Best animal friend." 

"That would be my dog Ozzy," Tom answered, not missing a single beat. "Okay, let's just drop this increasingly humiliating topic of conversation," Sonic groaned, but pulled off a light-hearted look. "Bucket list! Give it to maaaaaae!" 

"Okay...there is, one thing," Tom sighed. 

You slumped back in your seat, despite Sonic having a smile on his face, yours displayed a frown. You knew what Tom was about to say. You remembered your little fight with him the night he picked you up from the baseball stadium. 

You despised the idea, but there wasn't much for you to do to stop it from happening. Your ears braced themselves as Tom spoke loud and clear. "Okay, there is one thing. In Green Hills, I've always felt... I don't know, more like a babysitter than a real cop, y'know? So, I want a chance to prove myself, under real pressure. I'm gonna move to San Francisco, become a street cop. And... I don't know, see if I have what it takes." 

The car then suddenly drowned in silence. Everything seemed fragile and brittle, like the thinnest layer of ice floating down a cold stream. It was as if the world was holding its breath. For a small moment, you could hear your heartbeats in your ears, each beat echoing around your body. The sense of danger trickled down your spine like a water droplet. 

Your whole body went tense, as if awaiting the finishing blow. Finally, a voice broke through the web of silence. "What?" Tom said, looking over at Sonic. The hedgehog's face was frozen in utter disbelief at what he just heard. "Wh-why is your face doing that?" Tom asked in bewilderment.