Do You Love Me?

By the time Hawks had woken up the next morning, Dabi had already left him. He was no longer tied down, in fact, he had been moved to lay down on the mattress. The room was empty, no sign of the other man at all.

Hawks stretched a bit, cringing at the sharp pain that would shoot through his side whenever he moved it. With the wound stitched into his side, it hurt to move. Every single wrong turn would send pain all the way through his side, however he didn't make a sound. It wasn't the worst he's been through, and he doubts it will measure up against anything that will happen to him in the future.

Especially not when he was working with one of the world's worst villains to try and find even more powerful ones.

Hell, Hawks didn't have a single clue how he could have ever seen Dabi in a different light.

***

"Hey Birdie." Dabi purred into his ear, still holding him close. Hawks didn't feel as dirty as he did the night prior, despite easily being able to tell that he had just been lazily cleaned from the activities from the day before.

"Shut up." Hawks muttered in response, still hiding in his neck. He still smelled horrible, as if the stench of death was latching onto him. The scent of burning flesh was eating away at his nose, but he wasn't about to say anything about something Dabi couldn't control. Besides, they both needed to shower anyways.

"Aww, didn't you just say last night that you wanted me to be loud too?" He teased, running his warmed hands up and down Hawks' wings. The action caused the former to arch his back slightly, shivering.

Hawks immediately pushed Dabi away playfully.

"Oh fuck off. That was different."

"Oh really? It doesn't sound that different." He grinned, pulling at one of his feathers gently. He was immediately slapped with his wing.

"Not right now." He said, folding his wings back again.

"You not in the mood?"

"I'm sore." Hawks admitted, covering himself with his wings again to stay warm.

That was until Dabi began warming his body up, luring him back into his chest. Hawks stayed close, not daring to let him go. He was too warm.

"Hey firefly?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you love me?"

The question completely silenced the room. Dabi's breath hitched in the back of his throat. He started to loosen his hold on him.

"I'm not sure."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not sure." He repeated. "I might. But it doesn't really matter."

"Why doesn't it matter?"

"We wouldn't be able to be together anyways. So it doesn't matter."

The answer sent a pang through his heart. Sure, he knew it was true. There was no chance for him to have any sort of normal relationship. Especially not with him. But hearing the words be said out loud just made the emotional pain ready to rip him open.