22. Richard's Lover

They just finish eating a meal. It's already late afternoon.

Richard stares out through a window. It's snowing right now. The wind is blowing hard.

He asks Tristan, "Where do you live? I'll send you."

"Street."

"You..."

He can't leave Axell's sweetheart to live in streets like a beggar. He might freeze to death under this bad weather.

Axell and his team has left the base earlier. No one knows when he would be back.

Richard says, "Follow me."

Tristan follows him to an empty bedroom next door.

Blair is heading toward Richard's room with a stack of reports in his hands. He sees them enter the bedroom next to Richard's room.

It was supposed to be his bedroom. Richard has kept it empty for many months. Hoping Blair would move in. Blair refused it. He has chosen to live in the barrack sleeping quarter like other soldiers.

Tristan looks around. The bedroom doesn't have many furniture. Only a double bed, a small wardrobe and a desk.

Richard has chosen to furnish the room as simple as he could. He knows Blair doesn't like useless decorations too much. He has hand picked the sturdy furnitures available in the base.

In the end, the room was wasted. No one has ever used it.

Tristan lies down on the bed. It's cold like ice. He shivers a little bit.

Richard says, "Let's go and pick some necessary things for you."

They leave the room. They are heading to the storage when Richard notices Blair.

Two soldiers are standing behind him. One of them is working in the storage room.

Richard says, "Good to see you here. Tell the storage clerk to provide Lemon with blanket and stuffs."

"I'm not..."

Richard closes Tris' mouth with a hand. He doesn't want to spoil the surprise for Axell. He can't wait to see his surprise look. Seeing his dead moonlight comes back to life again.

Blair tightens his grip on his folder. His knuckles turn white. His mind is in wrecking mess. He has never seen Richard got close to someone like this.

He asks, "Who is he?"

"Him? Someone important to me."

Richard wasn't lying. He thinks Tristan would be Axell's lover. He might be his future nephew in law.

Tristan is shivering heavily. As half plant, he is very vulnerable in wintertime.

Richard chuckles and he takes off his long coat. He drapes it over Tristan. The coat is still warm from Richard's body heat. He taps on his shoulder and pushes him back. To the direction of his bedroom.

After they leave, a soldier comments, "Spreading dog foods like that. Spare us single dogs..."

"The general finally got himself a lover. Hope he would slack off for a while."

"Really? Why?"

"Too busy in bed."

A soldier makes a gesture of pumping. His friend laughs loudly. They walk away toward the storage room.

It's Apocalypse world. Women are scarce. Dating another man isn't shameful like the past.

Blair scoffs. He decides to work overtime. Working shall clear his mind from all unwanted feelings.