Prologue - The beginning

592 words

It was dark in the alley. Neon lights were reflected by the wet ground and peoples shadows making murky silhouettes. Adda was walking beside two men from the agency where her and Tom trained in the avatar program.

At the back end of the alley there was a man sprawled out on his back on the ground, a wheel chair not far from him.

"Jake!" Adda call out to him, running towards his crippled self with tears in her eyes. She kneels near him and tears fall from her eyes as she cups his face with her hands, "Jake! Are you okay? Please tell me you're okay," she chokes out between her tears and shakes him when she saw his eyes weren't open.

Jake grunts a bit from the loud noises and movements and painstakingly opens his eyes to see the face of his cousin, the cousin he hasn't seen since he was discharged from the military. "Adda?"

"Oh, thank goodness you're okay," she pulls his head to her in a hug, "I thought, I thought..." She starts crying even harder remembering what happened to Tommy. Jake lifts his arms slowly and wraps them around Adda to reciprocate her hug also sitting up in the process.

The two men who were with Adda before reach them and the one on the right speaks. "Are you Jake Sully?"

Jake, a bit confused at whats going on, look at Adda before awnsering him with narrowed eyes. "Who's asking?" The man on the left pulls out a buisness card from his jacket pocket and hands it to Jake who is still sitting on the ground, "Your brother represented a big investment for our company mr.Sully and we'd like for you to consider taking his contract."

"Why would you need me to take over his contract?" Jake look at Adda for an awnser. "Did something happen?"

Adda pulls away from Jake, sniffling, and wipes at her eyes with the back of her hand. She looks Jake in the eye and prepares herself to tell him about what happened. "Let's get in the car first, okay Jake? This'll take some time to explain and," her voice cracks, "and I'd rather not talk about this here." She says finally.

Jake nods his head slowly and Adda slowly helps him back into his wheelchair. They all start walking, well, rolling for Jake, towards the opening of the alley and soon get to a slick black car. They get in and put Jake's chair in the trunk. The man who wason the left earlier tell the driver to head towards the city morgue.

Jake, even more confused than earlier, turns towards Adda with an expectant look on his face. "Well? What happened?"

The curly haired girl takes in a deep wavering breath and tells her cousin what happened to his twin. The story doesn't take long but when she finishes, they've already arrived at the morgue.

Jake is devastated by the news and when he sees Tommy's face it just gets worse. Adda starts crying again, her grief indisputable on her face. Adda is kneeling in front of the fire as Tommy's body is cremated. One of the men from earlier turns towards him as he comforts his cousin by patting her back in a familiar embrace.

"So what do you say? The pay is good," the other chimes in, "very good."

Jake looks at the two men from over Adda's trembling shoulder for a moment and the turns back to his cousin, his only family left. "I'll do it."