Classes

Wizards, Harry decided, are woefully unfit.

Okay, so Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry had to admit, had to have been one of the most abnormal, complicated and just plain whacked out places that Harry had ever seen before in his life. There were over one hundred and forty two staircases at Hogwarts in all shapes and sizes. Wide, sweeping, narrow, rickety – it didn't matter – if you've heard of them, there were there. And that didn't even include the ones that moved at random to other floors, or the ones that were usually stationary that somehow seemed to lead somewhere else on a certain day of the week. Then there were that many trick doors, sliding panels and illusionary steps, not to mention the ghosts, moving pictures ("Ok I can stand ghosts, but talking and moving portraits? That's just plain weird." –Harry) and an insane poltergeist that Harry was beginning to think that, after the end of this year, he was going to be an expert at recognising magic-based genjutsu. I mean, it was literally everywhere.

However, that still didn't excuse the fact that when they had to get from one class that was on the first floor, to the next class that was on the fourth, his new friends would be almost unconscious from the amount of huffing and puffing they were doing, where as Harry hadn't even worked up a sweat. It was terribly embarrassing to watch. I mean, even Sasuke could do better than that when he hadn't even started the ninja academy!

After the first week, Harry soon figured out why, especially after he'd studied his timetable. While there were a wide range of different classes, there were no 'muggle' classes. Not even gym class. Hell, most of the children from wizard families didn't even know what gym class was!

Fortunately for himself, there were plenty of opportunities for him to continue his daily training routines. The grounds of Hogwarts were vast, stretching for at least a mile or more of wide open space before it hit the lake or the Forbidden forest that the Weasley Twins had mentioned and Dumbledore had referred to in his end-of-feast speech. Although Dumbledore had said that the Forbidden forest was…well, forbidden, Harry soon realised that this was the perfect place to train. No one would spot him, seeing as the students tended to avoid it – except maybe the Weasley twins if the look Dumbledore had given to them was any indication – and, if what Harry gathered was correct, then there was potential training opportunities all over the place – perfect for Harry's use.

Using his ninja skills, Harry would wake just before dawn, sneak out to the edge of the forest, run a mile or two round the lake to warm up and would run through his Taijutsu, before starting on the two scrolls that Sarutobi had given to him.

The two scrolls were to focus Chakra, Harry soon realised – Tree Climbing and Water Walking – both of which needed fine chakra control to use. Well, unless he wanted to find himself flat on his back with concussion or to be plunged six foot into ice-cold water. He had decided to start with the Tree Climbing exercise first, seeing as he had at least got a solid surface to grip the Chakra through his feet to. The Water Walking, he suspected, would be a lot more difficult.

In doing this, he got his first proper introduction to the Giant man named Hagrid, although…not quite the way Harry would have wished. He had been so concentrated on managing to get past ten foot up a tree when he heard a loud "Oi, wha' d'yer think yer doin'?"

Harry, who by this point was flat on his back, covered in dirt and panting, found himself staring at impossibly large feet, following them up to the bushy face of the Gamekeeper Rubeus Hagrid. Mentally he swore.

"I thought yer were told tha' the Forbidden Forest was off limits!" he growled, his bushy eyebrows frowning down at him. His eyes caught the marks criss-crossing their way up the tree. "This ain't no place ter be relaxin' Harry. Yer never know wha' kind o' creatures are in there – see?" he pointed to the marks. Harry coughed discretely as he carefully hid his kunai within his hip-pouch.