Chapter Four: The Burgeoning Sentiment

Ming Yue entered the private study and approached the prince, treading lightly but without hesitation. His robes were a deep forest green, she noticed.  An unusual shade, but it suited him well, contrasting with his long black hair and following the contours of his tall and slender, yet muscular, frame.

He was sitting in a relaxed manner, but her experience in observing people closely told her that he was a skilled martial artist, and that his posture was hiding deadly skill if he chose to reveal it.  She wasn't afraid though.  Ming Yue was yet to meet a man she feared.  

She noticed the large dog lying at the prince's feet and suppressed a small smile as it wagged its tail.  She paid the proper respects and spoke in a calm voice.

"You sent for me, Your Highness?"

A deep, but musical voice responded.

"What is your name?"

"Li Ming Yue, Your Highness."

"Come closer."

She took several steps forward and, whilst she kept her head lowered in a respectful fashion, her gaze drifted upwards to look more closely at the prince.  His eyes were a rich shade of brown and sparkled with intelligence.  A sharp jawline and a straight nose completed the attractive picture.

"He is very handsome."  She surprised herself with the thought, until the voice came again, snapping her out of her momentary daze.

"Do you know why you have been assigned to work here?"

"I understand that Your Highness is very busy with administrative matters and has need of a maid who can read and write."

"That is indeed the case.  Flooding has crippled the northern provinces, and the king has placed me in charge of the relief effort.  Are you willing to assist me?"

Ming Yue was surprised that the prince asked, rather than ordered, but she responded smoothly.

"I am at Your Highness's command."

Zhao Weisheng's eyes narrowed.   The young woman's behaviour thus far had been impeccable.  Yet, like Luo Jian had said, there was something about her.  Like a caged animal, she seemed constantly to be holding herself on the edge, ready to leap at any moment.  He took a deep breath.

"Hmm.  Very well then.  These records from the provinces affected by the recent flooding have just arrived."  He gestured to the bookshelves of documents to his right.  "You can begin by organising them by date and location.  Do you understand?"

"Yes, Your Highness."

"Then carry on and don't worry about my presence.  I have memorials to review."  He picked up a document from his desk and began to cast his eyes over it.

Ming Yue moved towards the shelves, her mind racing.  Given the prince's obvious involvement in Han politics, and from what she had heard about his and his father's good relationship, she was sure to hear more about the king's attitude to Jin, and who in the royal court spoke out in favour of, and against, the peace accords.

Consequently, moving to the prince's mansion in the sprawling palace complex took her one step closer to where she needed to be.  She only hoped that Bu Hong would not bully Wen Mei too much in her absence.

Still, her instincts were screaming at her that this was a double-edged sword.  Even though all of the palace staff spoke highly of him, the prince was dangerous, she had no doubt about that.  His eyes looked as though they could see right through her and, though she knew her intentions in coming to Han were good, she still felt a twinge of guilt at the thought of deceiving him, even though they had only just met.