Chapter Eleven: The Unexpected Promotion

Having reported to his father, Zhao Weisheng made his way back to his mansion.  Turning a corner, he stopped at the sight of his older brother walking towards him.  Realising that meeting was unavoidable, he slowed his pace and stopped to acknowledge Zhao Li Jun.

Anyone looking at the two princes together would immediately spot that there was a family resemblance, but Li Jun's features were sharper than Weisheng's, giving him a harsh, unyielding appearance, and his eyes flashed not with intelligence but with an inherent streak of cruelty.  It was fair to surmise that the palace staff obeyed Weisheng's commands out of loyalty and respect, but they obeyed Li Jun out of fear.

To say the relationship between the two men was frosty would have been an understatement.  However, the resentment on Li Jun's side, and just general dislike on Weisheng's side, usually simmered beneath the surface, as both brothers spoke perfectly cordially to each other whenever they found themselves face to face.  However, anyone familiar with the two could immediately tell that all was not well between them.

In Weisheng's case it was, originally, not for lack of trying.  As a child, he had always wanted to be able to look up to his older brother, and for many years he held on to the hope that the sibling relationship he wanted with Li Jun would materialise.  However, as he grew up, he realised that hope and reality were two very different things, and he began to distance himself from the man he had once so desperately craved approval from.

Thus far, he had not directly acted against his brother, as his desire for family unity was too strong.  However, it was becoming more and more difficult to ignore his various excesses and debauched behaviour.  Li Jun might have been Weisheng's brother, but he took no pleasure in his company.  In fact, he actively avoided it, and he had no doubt that Li Jun felt the same.  All that Weisheng could do was try to stop his brother's actions from influencing the behaviour of their half-brother, who was still very young and impressionable.

For Li Jun, he had spent the first few years of his life being pampered and spoilt.  Thus, it could be argued that his adult personality was not entirely of his own making.

It being widely rumoured that the queen had had considerable difficulties conceiving, when Li Jun arrived, he was the future of the nation, the apple of his parents' eye, and the next king.  Then, to everyone's surprise and delight, Weisheng had been born several years later, securing the future of the Zhao royal line.

At first, the young Li Jun had thought little of it.  Then, as his baby brother grew older, it had become quite apparent who the darling of the family was.  At the time, Li Jun's birth had been unlikely.  Weisheng's, however, was considered almost miraculous, and it did not take long for the seeds of jealousy to take root.

Li Jun had never been inclined to share the spotlight, let alone relinquish it in favour of another.  Consequently, seeing Weisheng excel at everything and be praised at every turn hardened his heart towards his own brother at an early age, and even now he lacked the emotional maturity to move past his initial resentment.

"Brother!" Weisheng said, as Li Jun approached. "I have just returned from the northern provinces.  "Tell me, have I missed any news in the palace?"

Li Jun came to a halt in front of him.  Ignoring his question, Li Jun responded with a different query.

"Brother, how was your trip?  Did you enjoy cosying up to the peasants?"

Weisheng ignored his provocative tone.

"Very productive thank you, but it's good to be back in the palace," he said.  Li Jun attempted a smile in response, but it came out more closely resembling a sneer.