Chapter Fifty-One: The Evil Unmasked

Ming Yue's eyes moved steadily between the two officious-looking men stood in front of her.

"If the situation is as you say it is, would it not be better for me to continue with the marriage?" she suggested.  "I can feed you whatever information you need until you are able to deal with the problem of the crown prince.  All I would ask for in return is that you then ensure my subsequent marriage to the youngest brother.  I have no interest in returning to the confines of my father's palace, and such marriages are not uncommon, after all.  I am well aware that the third prince is young enough that I would essentially be free to live an easy life and do as I wished, and Jin would not interfere."  She raised an eyebrow, daring the Han officials to contradict her.

The two ministers looked at each other.  It was certainly worth considering.  Whilst their initial proposal would deal an immediate blow to the Han royal family, the princess's suggestion could potentially provide them with a significant long-term advantage.

Minister Guo turned back towards Ming Yue, confident in the knowledge that his co-conspirator would take his lead.

"Your Highness is wise," he said.

"Nonsense," Ming Yue waved a hand, dismissively.  "It is the only logical solution.  I am too accustomed to a life of luxury to disappear now, however comfortable you say my position will be, and I cannot possibly return to Jin.  Building a life for myself as a Han royal on my own terms is surely the best option, and if you support me in this, then I will support you."

At this point, Minister Guo was practically chomping at the bit, and it was all the princess could do to suppress a smile of victory.

"It is indeed a solution that would be of maximum benefit to all concerned," he said.  "Your Highness is most astute in her grasp of the situation."

"I merely have a strong tendency towards self-preservation," Ming Yue replied, well aware that she could not come across as any kind of potential threat.  "I care nothing for politics."

She looked at the two men in front of her and steeled her nerves for the final blow.

"Then, from your silence I take it that it is settled.  I will reappear on the road in due course, with a few scratches and bruises to prove my ordeal, and impress the crown prince with my resilience and fortitude.  As soon as he takes me into his confidence, I will contact you with any news."  She took a deep breath.  "I assume you have people in the palace.  Give me a way to identify those loyal to your cause so that I can send messages, and our alliance is sealed."

The two ministers scrutinised the young woman carefully, but could see no deception in her eyes, only fierce determination.  Minister Guo nodded to his companion, who took a step forward.

"Here is a token of my family," said Minister Su, reaching out a hand holding a small plaque.  "Its colouring is unusual, so you only need to display it on your person as you walk about the palace, and someone will approach you in my or Minister Guo's name."

Ming Yue reached out, but just before she could take it, Minister Guo raised a hand.

"For so precious an item, Your Highness, we will need something in return.  A similar assurance."

Ming Yue nodded thoughtfully, and reached into her travelling cloak.

"Here is my badge as a member of the Jin royal family.  I trust it is sufficient?"  She handed it over to Minister Su, willing him not to look too closely.  Luckily, and as she had expected, he recognised the insignia instantly.  He tucked the item into his robes and handed her the Su family token, as she resisted the urge to heave a large sigh of relief.