Chapter Fifty-Three: The Final Confrontation

"Surprised to see me alive?" said Li Jun.  "You should be honoured.  You're the first person I've revealed my true identity to since I returned."

Even now, Ming Yue's mind struggled to process what she knew her eyes were seeing.  She backed away slowly, trying to buy some time as she thought furiously.

"The body that came back to the capital?" she asked.  She did not need to elaborate.

"Some random soldier who bore a passing resemblance.  After the fight, Chuanli returned and found me.  Given the condition of my injuries, and the fact that the rest of my men would have gladly finished me off, I decided death was the better option, at least in the short term."

"You should have stayed dead," Ming Yue retorted, her tone defiant as she refused to allow the man to intimidate her.

Li Jun chuckled.  It was a sinister sound.  He started moving towards the corner of the room, but never once took his eyes off the princess.

"I had considered it, even after I returned to the capital.  I only began to think seriously about regaining my former position when I heard about this clinic and its miraculous method of healing scars.  Imagine my amazement when I found out that its owners were close friends with Secretary Li.  And imagine my even greater amazement when I found out Secretary Li's real identity.  You're not only a freak of nature.  You are also a Jin spy."

Ming Yue's breath caught in her throat.  If Li Jun exposed the truth now, the consequences could be disastrous for both Han and Jin.

"I'm also the crown prince's wife," she said.  "Do you really think you can get away with attacking me here?"  She drew bing ling.

Li Jun reached behind a nearby pile of neatly stacked logs and pulled out a sword.  Its vicious-looking blade glinted in the lamplight, and for the first time his gaze left the young woman to admire the weapon.

"I've been keeping this here, hoping I would get the opportunity to use it on you.  I polish it every night.  And of course I think I can get away with ending your life here.  After all, look at me.  I'm practically invisible to the world outside."

Suddenly, without warning, his eyes darted back towards Ming Yue and he lunged forward, putting his full force behind the move and finally abandoning any pretence at weakness or injury.

Temporarily caught off guard, it was all Ming Yue could do to jump back and parry the blow as best she could.  Her last thought before she threw herself into the fight was that she could not afford to lose.  If Li Jun bested her here, his next target would surely be Weisheng.

***

The crown prince reached out his arms and stretched his aching back.  He had been sitting with Minister Shen for hours now, and it was starting to take its toll.  Noticing his companion's discomfort, the older man decided to bring an end to matters.

"Perhaps we could continue this tomorrow, Your Highness?" he suggested.  "I am expecting some more reports in this evening.  It would make sense to finish here for now so that we can review any new information in the morning."

Weisheng nodded gratefully.  It did indeed make sense.

"Very well," he said.  "I should return to my wife, or she will think I am neglecting her so soon after the marriage."

When he got back to their chambers, he was surprised to find them dark and silent.  Emerging into the dusk light, Luo Jian was quickly at his side.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Ming Yue's not here."

Luo Jian frowned.

"Could she be somewhere else in the mansion?"