chapter thirteen

Alexander observed her. The twinkling of her eyes, the slight curve of her lips along a faint dimple on her left cheek mesmerized him. He always had a fear that after everything she has gone through can he ever have the chance to see her smile like that? Finally she learnt to smile again, even though he wished to be the cause of her smile, everyone here knows she was enjoying his brother's banter.

Nowadays Ambrose acted so proud and arrogant lifting his chest up and walked with a gait like a national hero who saved their country. That smug smile was starting to get on the nerves of both Sam and Alexander.

For once Alexander and Sam could sympathize with each other. They were both  on the same boat.

It had been months since she started being herself. The doctor confirmed that Faith is completely cured and regained her full memory.

" please leave me. Don't hurt my child. Please, please don't" panting I woke up from that dreadful dream. I was covered in cold sweat. That particular memory keeps resurfacing bringing a whole lot of terror and anxiety keeping me awake for the rest of the night. Subconsciously I covered my stomach in a protective manner trying to protect my child. After a long time was I able to calm my racing breath and relax my taut nerves.

I slowly retracted my hands from the place where once my only child lived. Everytime I realise that my child is no longer there, inside the place where I was supposed to protect her, I couldn't hold back my tears. The pain is raw and fresh bringing a wave of sorrow washing to the very depth of my heart.

" Should have I gone back to Alexander when I learnt of my pregnancy?" This was the one question I am asking myself a million times a day. Maybe I should have.. but I didn't.

I didn't want my child to have anything to do with him. Not after his betrayal. Not only that ,I wasn't actually sure that he would want our child. He already decided to throw me out of his life. What are the odds that he would want my child?"

" He may have rejected me. But I wouldn't give him the chance to reject my child. I am there for him or her. I will raise my child into a beautiful lady or a young man. I will provide my baby  everything. I will be both his or her mother and father." This were the thoughts that mostly resurfaced on the forefront of my brain at that time when I learnt of my pregnancy.

" Everything would've been perfect had I not run into those monsters. "

I still vividly remember the assault that took place that day.

I was sitting across the street like any other day, wishing someone would give me  a loaf of bread. My  depression was so severe that I didn't even try to find any work. Money work ,home all seemed alien to me. All I  needed was a piece of bread to pass my day.

That day as I was leaning on a wall in a dark alley, all I saw was four silloutes . One guy appeared in front of me out of nowhere. He  punched me in the face with his fist. Another stepped on my legs and crushed my foot. The third guy kicked my stomach, my baby.

" Homeless slut, get away from here" " you disgusting sluts polluting our country" " go and die" All that followed was more cursing and punching. My baby was my last thought before losing consciousness.

That was the last time I saw those monsters for good. Regaining my consciousness I realised I was laying in a hospital bed. Tubes and wires were connected to me to big machines. There was no one except a nurse who just entered my hospital room.

" Oh good Lord you are finally awake " with a kind smile she came in front of me and took a note pad and a pen from her pocket.

" You were unconscious for three days. Thankfully nothing major happened. Both you and your child are safe."

Hearing those god sent words I left a relieved sigh, thanking God after a very long time.

Looking around the clean well kept hospital room I was a little confused. I had no money with me, so how could they provide such a beautiful room to me?

" Oh don't look confused. The woman who brought you here paid for all your medical bills and the hospital expense. You don't need to worry about anything"I just nodded at her

" I need your details to report back. Can I know your name please?"

" Faith" I said.