Chapter Eight

Detective Haro had left Mazatec almost 30 minutes by the time he pulled into Mitsunobu.  It wasn’t exactly a big town, and soon enough he had found himself somewhere to stay for the night.  He’d been tempted to call Kuma and tell him what he knew but there was one thing he wanted to do first before he did that.  He needed proof and he needed to see that grave for himself.

He dropped down on the hotel bed and toe’d his shoes off with a sigh.  Today had not gone how he had expected at all.  Now, instead of Genos and Saitama, who, if he was being honest with himself, he now doubted had killed the Doctor.  He was figuring Katashi as the main suspect in the killing of Kuseno. 

He’d spoken to the receptionist and had got the location of the only graveyard in town.  It was too late now to go to the local authorities and get a copy of the death certificate for both Rosemary and their son, Genos.  But he wanted to see the grave for himself.  While everyone was coming home from work, having dinner, he’d wonder down and have a look.  The graveyard was open till 8 this evening.

Lying back on the bed, he wondered what had possessed Kuseno to give his dead child’s name to the Demon Cyborg.

Within a few moments, he was fast asleep.

Genos had a jacket on, along with a baseball cap they had found in one of the boxes in the bedroom, but Saitama couldn’t shake the feeling that he looked like someone who didn’t want anyone to notice him, which only made him more noticeable. They were sticking to the forest for as long as possible, keeping out of sight.  They were going to run when they ran out of forest.   He sighed.

“At least Mitsunobu is in the opposite direction of everyone who is after us.”  He reached out and took Genos’ hand, who turned to him startled, but quickly relaxed.  “Brain still going a mile a minute?”  Saitama squeezed his hand gently in support.

“Yes.  Nothing I have heard this day will be resolved by the end of it, so for now I must just accept it and work towards clearing our names.”

“Yeah…  I dunno if going to the grave is going to help with that Genos, but I understand it.”  Besides, if need be, Saitama was with Genos.  He would be going nowhere without him.

“I knew you would, Sensei.”  Genos shook his head.  “I am still finding it hard to believe that all this time, I had a father and brother and never knew.”

“Sometimes the truth isn’t easy, I guess.  But you know it now.  We just gotta work from there.”

“Maybe, when this is all said and done, I might try and discover more about my mother’s side of the family.  Kuseno told me he had no one, which I now know is a lie, so maybe there is someone out there…”  He shook his head in frustration.  “Why do I never learn?”

“Huh?”

Genos offered Saitama a weak grin.  “I always let my guard down before the fight is done.”  He straightened up. Saitama recognised the move.  Time to be serious.  “When this is over, I will only then allow myself to think of such things.”

Saitama smiled and quickly gave him a peek on the cheek.  “When this is all over, I can be your sugar daddy.”  Saitama wriggled his eyebrows and smiled even more when it made Genos laugh.

It hadn’t taken them long to reach Mitsunobu once they had cleared the forest.  They had simply walked into town and called into a restaurant and spent some of the money they had found in a safe in the new lab.  Genos had known there had been money in the old one, so it was easy enough to check to see if there had been any in the new one.