Chapter 2. The Tower and an old hag's broken mirror.

In the forbidden forest rests an old woman

In the forbidden forest rests an old woman. She sits in a rocking chair and snores loudly. She's dreaming of healing spells and a beautiful little girl named Mary Margaret with strikingly sea-green eyes.

She remembers this particular child with fondness and a very gratifying heart. Aside from Mary's jokes and climbing trees only to fall and scrape her knee; the child had long, ruby colored hair.

It was so curly and so magical it glowed. And the old hag knew the powers her hair possessed, too.

She awoke with an odd sense of humor. She thought it was silly how farmer's milked their goats and sold the milk to people. She laughed to herself and then stood up from the wooden rocking chair.

She then walked over to a rough, wooden table and pulled out a glass jar. She opened the jar and lifted one curly lock of flaming red hair. It had turned darker with time. But still held magical powers.

She was old and in bad health. She desperately needed a reboot and Mary's hair was the only thing that could help the old hag.

She put the strand of hair back into the glass jar and screwed on the lid. She set the jar back on the shelf and sat at the wooden table. She sighed and saw her reflection in the mirror.

Her hair was short, silver and falling out. On the mirror's vanity there were ringlets of old hair in a loose knot. Her skin was wrinkled and her eyes were grey. She could see the bones in her left hand and how easily breakable she had become. She was thin and malnourished. And her breasts sagged. She remembered with solemnity her long, golden hair. It had been flat-ironed straight. She remembered her ivory skin and beautiful, round sapphire eyes. She missed being young again. And she knew exactly where to get the youth from in the kingdom she was forced to stay hidden by the King.

The only thing she had to eat were strawberries she grew in her garden. And wild strawberries weren't enough to live on. She would sometimes catch a robin nibbling on her berry bushes. The birds would leave holes in the fruit and make it impossible for a human being to eat after the damage had already been done. It was lonely in her tower. And although the robins were irritating, the old woman thought of them as close friends.

She resembled a skeleton. She looked at her hands and saw how her fingers curled. She stared at her face and saw how sickly pale she was.

Mary's family had tried to keep her a secret. They knew she was in the tower. And were trying to protect Mary from the truth.

She was one-hundred percent horrified at her appearance.

She had aged so much within the years. And she didn't look at all like she used to. Mary wouldn't know who she was.

She was quickly saddened by this. How long had it been since she saw the sunlight? How long had it been since she talked to another person? How long had it been since they threw her in the tower and locked away the key?