Chapter 9. silver and gold and cherry

Mary was hopping from one foot to the other foot as her maids finished cutting thin pieces of her long and blood red day dress

Mary was hopping from one foot to the other foot as her maids finished cutting thin pieces of her long and blood red day dress. The dress was a deep cherry color with white pieces of fabric knotted in the floor-length dress. Her sleeves were long and charming with solid silver pearls that had a glassed effect to the tiny plastic balls. She was wearing black-toed flats and the maids were having the hardest time trying to get her to stand still as they poked her skin with a needle and drew thick droplets of bright purple blood. She saw something shimmering with a golden hue in the corner of her oval chambers and she hurriedly went to see what was shining so brightly and beautifully. The maids huffed as she raced to the wardrobe with the yellow floral roses and picked up a small object between her pale thumb.

"Child, please! You're going to be late to the masquerade ball!" Katherine and Amethyst cried together in genuine horror. Mary giggled and turned around to face her maids. 

"I'm not going to be late. You have my word on the holy spirit," she promised. 

"That's a big promise, Mary," Katherine said. 

"I will keep my promises for the lord," she replied to Katherine. 

Mary smiles at her helpful and wonderful maids. She steps down from the pale wooden stool and walks back over to the sparkling object in the shadows. She picks it up and watches as a deep crimson pool stains her evening dress. She watches as the blood soaks into her dress skirt and suddenly she hears something or someone calling her name in the darkness of the room. 

She starts to rotate on the balls of her feet and searches the room with her pale green eyes. She swore she heard someone say her name. Mary wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the castle ghosts. They never showed their faces to anyone. But you could hear them. 

Her light red hair was braided with messy curls and little patches of Camellias. The colors were cream and red Camellias. She was dressed in a deep red dress and her feet were bare underneath. Her maids would tell her often enough to please wear shoes. But Mary wanted to wear no shoes and refused their pleas. She wouldn't listen to them. 

"Mary," someone says. The hair on the back of her arms stood up instantly. She searches the room again in perfect rotation. But she only sees her maids chattering away and laughing at their own bad jokes. 

Mary places the needle back on one of the old sawdust tables. She walks back over to her maids and one of her maids, Anastasia, hands her a thin mask shaped similar to a butterfly's wing. The mask was a deep purple and had glittering red sequins sewn on it. The sequins shone in the silver-hued atmosphere. She placed the butterfly mask on her face as she lightly gripped the bronze handle of the mask.

The maids praised Mary at how beautiful she looked. But Mary wasn't interested in hearing their compliments. Mary knew or at least had heard what the castle ghosts appeared to human eyes. 

They didn't have faces. They wore brown burlap clothes and had glossy black eyes. They were short and didn't come out in the daylight. They hid in the darkness. Mary thought of the castle ghosts as vampires. Vampires had been properly singed and burned at the stake for centuries. 

Mary had never seen a vampire before. But her own father had it when he was fourteen years old. He watched one burn because the vampire had killed his mother. 

The vampire didn't have a name. But people called him Samuel. The villagers were frightened of the immortal creatures. Mary was outside then and stepped onto the golden carriage. She waves goodbye to her watching maids and the horse starts galloping down the stone pathways. They were headed towards Prince Henry's castle in the East. He was having a party he invited Mary to.

Mary was happy and filled with joy as she let her palm out the carriage windows and could smell a pretty orange floral scent as the horse ran to the castle. Maryy knew of Prince Henry and that he was a ladies man. He never married or had children. He was twenty-seven years old. Marty thought it was strange he wasn't married to anyone. Mary was promised to a man already and she was seventeen. She didn't think anything more of it, though. It wasn't her place to judge Prince Henry or anyone else. 

Mary places her hands on her red velvet skirt and leans her head back on the black leather board. She sighs and then shuts her eyelids. She was thinking about how nice it was to not listen to her maids talk about hard lemon and strawberry striped candy so much. The candy was individually wrapped in a golden wrapper and looked similar to chocolate kisses. The lemon and strawberry candy tasted so good the maids had everything. Mary would see them laughing and sharing a glass of purple wine in a crystal glass that belonged to Kathleen's mother. She kept the glass with her at all times in remembrance of her deceased mother called Sarah Nicole Ashton. 

They would often eat them during Christmas when Kathleen would set them out for everyone to have candy. She, Kathleen, was often hoping Anastasia or Nicole would eat the candy. It was gone by Christmas morning. Mary would leave her feet bare and feel the bladed green-hued grass between her bare toes. People can hate you for just being attractive and wealthy. Mary saw the looks people gave her often when her back was turned on them. She just wanted to make friends with other people and live a normal life. The only friend she had was her fiancé and mother who looked out for Mary. She didn't understand it. But she was sad because so many people looked down on her with intense hatred she didn't deserve from them ever or people who didn't know her or take the time to actually talk to her about her real life and struggles and dreams and fulfillments. 

Mary blinked once and saw a bright red fairy flash before her eyes. The fairy stopped next to the carriage window and gave Mary a quick curtsy in her red outfit. Mary smiled at the pretty fairy and the fairy gave her another bow. This time it was a longer one in respect to Mary's title of being a royal. The fairy flew away after a few minutes with wide eyes and waved goodbye to Mary in a friendly gesture of pride and acceptance. The fairy was quite happy and excited to see a royal girl with her own pale blue eyes lovingly. Mary waved at the little red person as she departed with the carriage's wheels turning in roundness and crunching on the stone pavement as the horse galloped down the streets hurriedly.

Mary arrived at Prince Henry's castle at three in the afternoon. She escorted herself off the golden carriage and walked through the big iron doors. 

One of the guards opened the doors for her and she thanked them pleasantly speaking. She then walked down the long hallway and nervously wrung her hands together. The hallway was cream and gold colored. She stopped to admire a portrait of a man with graying hair and a long, thin beard similar to a white cat's bushy tailed. 

She didn't hear someone walking behind her until she was tapped lightly on the shoulder by a stranger. She turned around and saw a tall man with blond hair and large brown eyes. He was wearing a dark brown suit with golden symbols and tiny flags of the United States. Mary smiled at the man and he gazed at the portrait she was looking at. There were a million questions in Mary's mind. But first: "Who are you?" 

The man looked offended immediately at what Mary said to him. He couldn't think of anyone who at least wouldn't recognize who Jesus was. This amused him. 

"You don't know me?" He asked. Mary shook her head no. 

"I'm Henry the Fourteenth. And that's my father's portrait before he died from pneumonia." But that wasn't true. His father had really died from a vampire attack. And that vampire was still living and feeding on people until they were unconscious and feeble. No one knew where he was though. He was supposed to be burned at the stake but he got away and disappeared. Leaving everyone disappointed for a burning party where everyone was invited to attend and very disoriented from the escape of a vampire who wanted to hurt people. Vampires weren't supposed to escape like that. But he somehow did. It was the highlight of everyone in the village to have a party. They didn't happen often enough.