xvii. hoco-no-shows

ILLYRIS | xvii.
"WE'RE GONNA DIE."
HOCO-NO-SHOWS

HOMECOMING WAS TONIGHT and rather than taking a nap or assuring Bex that her suit hugged her body right, Thea was wiping sweat off of her brow after a tedious brawl in front of the local jewelry store

HOMECOMING WAS TONIGHT and rather than taking a nap or assuring Bex that her suit hugged her body right, Thea was wiping sweat off of her brow after a tedious brawl in front of the local jewelry store. She pushed a lock of hair over her shoulder as she glared at one of the four bodies squirming on the ground.

"That clearing your mind up?" Thea sighed, adjusting the cuffs of her black coat. "You were in charge of the transport. Who's your contact and where's the payload?"

"I don't know, lady!" the criminal moaned. He clutched his arm, the material of his gray jacket blackened from fire.

She pressed the toe of her boot on top of his chest and her blue eyes gleamed, boring into his peering up from the cheaply cut holes of his ski mask. "It's Maegya. I'm gonna ask you again. Who's your contact and where's the payload?"

"Oh, you bitch—"

Flicking her hand, a force of fiery light smashed his head against the ground, knocking the thief out cold before he could finish his disappointingly stupid answer.

Thea bent down, picking up the weapon he had been holding to rob the poor store owner. It was a blaster made from the arm of an Ultron sentient. The dark metal gleamed under the street lamp Thea stood under. She pushed up the safety latch, watching blue energy charge up the barrel. Her hand began to glow as the flames of her temper grew. The metal began to turn into slag that dripped from her palm onto the sidewalk.

Stepping over the glass, she felt her heartstrings get tugged at the stout old man cowering behind the counter. He was of Asian descent and must've been around eighty— an innocent. Her brows furrowed at the burn marks marring the walls and marble floor. Each of the jewelry mannequins was still bearing diamonds and rubies. Thea made sure they didn't get ten feet away with any of their loot.

"You're okay, I got you," Thea assured, helping the man stand up. She felt relieved he didn't pull away in fright of her.

"Thank you, miss," the man spoke in a strong accent. He bowed his head down reverently and she did the same.

"I'm so sorry for what's happened but you're safe now," she informed softly, folding her hands in front of her. He nodded, silent and almost trembling. Looking around once more to make sure the coast was clear, Thea turned around and felt bits of glass crunching under her ebony boots as she began walking away.

"You are dragon?"

She turned around at his voice, her curious smile hidden by her mask. "What was that?"

"My mother, she come from old dragonlords long time ago," he spoke in the best English he could. "You are blood of dragon, yes?"

Thea nodded, pride fluttering in her heart. "Call me Rhaenerys, maegi."