viii. three cheers for team morale

ILLYRIS | viii.
"YOU SHOULD GET BETTER AT LYING."
THREE CHEERS FOR TEAM MORALE

THEA WAS RUNNING on Lexapro and a mug of coffee

She pinched the yellow blazer that hung on her frame a little too nicely as did everyone else's though it wasn't flattering. It was a creamier yellow rather than a bold ochre. Thea wondered if navy blue would've been a better choice. The bright color and the trusty Midtown crest patch on the left breast pocket seemed to scream, "We are Midtown Tech and we own this space!"

The autumn morning was crisp but warm, a gentle breeze rustling her hair. Thea felt cozy in a thermal white tee with a high collar that kept her neck warm and a pair of jeans the color of pitch. She debated wearing her boots but in honesty, Thea wasn't sure if she should even wear them maskless. So she settled on her black Converse which was equally comfortable.

Her fingers drummed anxiously on the handle of her carrier suitcase, silenced by the loud rumble of the school bus engine. Thea had never gone out of the state by herself. Granted, she was accompanied by the Decathlon team with a—somewhat— responsible sponsor but it was different for her. Serafina wasn't around to protect her. What was she going to do? Sneak Oathkeeper next to her toothbrush? It was all up to her now.

Sera made it abundantly clear— Thea was the one who fought to go to Nationals, now she was going to face the challenges that came her way.

Right now, she wasn't even thinking about death and doom. All Thea wanted was breakfast. Mr. Harrington was conversing with the bus driver and Liz was busy doing a final headcount and making sure everyone's waivers were accounted for.

Next to her, Cindy was flipping through a practice pamphlet madly, her lips moving at an unbelievable speed as she committed the questions to memory. Her pin-straight hair kept falling in a curtain over her face. She'd push it away but it would descend again. Push. Fall. Push. Fall.

Thea wondered if she should just give her a hair tie to end the struggle that was even causing her anxiety to spike despite the Lexapro. She tapped Cindy's shoulder, barely interrupting her chants.

"Take a deep breath, would you?" she asked, smiling. "The competition's tomorrow you'll have time to prep when we get to the hotel."

"You're right... you're right," Cindy breathed, slipping her pamphlet in the pocket of her black trousers and brushing down her pink and white patterned blouse. "I can't have a breakdown now."

"Eh, sorta late for that," Thea mumbled under her breath.

"It'll be okay, guys, we're gonna do a quick mock round on the way there," Liz assured although she was fidgeting with the tag of her luggage. She must've been nervous, this was the day she had been looking forward to for months.

"Yeah, don't worry guys. I'm here to carry us," Flash sighed as he leaned against the wall of the bus.

"Oh boy," Charles muttered, shaking her head.