vii. spoils of war

ILLYRIS | vii.
"BRING ME THANOS!"
SPOILS OF WAR

THEA'S WRISTS PULSATED with her magic pleading to escape

THEA'S WRISTS PULSATED with her magic pleading to escape. Her nerves raced faster than lightning and the sensation made her skin tingle as raw energy coiled tightly in her veins and muscles. She concentrated on the rumble of the Quinjet's engine and the series of roars from the Dragonfangs' thrusters as the unit traveled to the safe haven best equipped for saving not just Vision, but the universe— Wakanda.

She sat alone in the limited number of seats in the jet. It probably wasn't a first-class luxury aircraft like Tony's private plane. She remembered seeing it soar through buildings foaming with smoke in Manhattan when the Chitauri rained from the sky like hellfire. Sitting in it was still unreal, and this was a girl who emerged from flames unburnt with two dragons clinging to her body.

The other Avengers crowded around Vision and Steve to discuss their plans once they landed. Certain words jumped out at her like "King" and "laboratory". Her eyes darted to Wanda who was sitting far from everyone, her head supported on her hand as she thought of the uncertainties that lay ahead of her. Sam was piloting, his dark eyes focused on the clear skies ahead of them. He was communicating with Serafina in the leading Dragonfang and she could see the crest of the Valaryens of Dragonfort emblazoned proudly on the side of the slender aircraft: three red dragon heads in a triskelion against black.

"We're landing in five," Steve announced as his eyes raked over the occupants. "Everyone get ready."

"I've heard about you."

Thea was able to place the accented voice to the speaker as she lifted her gaze from her twiddling fingers. Wanda Maximoff stood at a respectable distance, far enough to establish boundaries and close so they could speak in private.

The Sokovian looked down at her ring-adorned fingers nervously. "And here I thought the craziest thing in the world was me."

There was a strange familiarity between the two, derived solely from their powers that made Thea feel somewhat comfortable. The corner of her mouth twisted up and she released an exhale that didn't quell her worries.

"You know, I've seen him before," Thea informed softly. "It's been unraveling since I was born. But I'm still scared."

"I understand," said Wanda. "Bruce told me whatever he knew about you. It's not much but your powers... they are like my own and not just because of the Stones. Our lives were shaped by them but you had no choice. I did." She lifted her pale fingers and red light materialized between them, swirling around her skin into a small ball. "Still, it's like you're not in control."

"They control you," Thea confessed and the Sokovian smiled in agreement. "It's like sometimes I feel more Dragon Queen than teenage girl."

"You are the Mother of Magic. Your dragons— they feed off of your magic," Wanda remarked. "It is you who is in control of yourself. No one and nothing else."