ix. imminent death (elevator edition)

ILLYRIS | ix.
"IT'S AN INTERGALACTIC BOMB, ISN'T IT?"
IMMINENT DEATH (ELEVATOR EDITION)

WHILE THE TEAM was up bright and early for the biggest competition of their high school careers, Peter Parker's unsurprisingly sudden absence made them confused, frustrated, nervous, or a pleasant mixture of all three

WHILE THE TEAM was up bright and early for the biggest competition of their high school careers, Peter Parker's unsurprisingly sudden absence made them confused, frustrated, nervous, or a pleasant mixture of all three. In other words, Midtown Tech was probably screwed.

The clamor of the hotel crowd almost drowned out their worries. Other teams were counting their students and boarding their buses on schedule— all except one yellow jacket-clad bunch of nerds who were waiting on a notoriously dodgy boy.

Mr. Harrington rubbed his bearded chin and glanced at his wristwatch every now and then. All eyes were on Ned, the most obvious person to know of Peter's whereabouts... if he knew was the question.

Charles and Cindy walked down the terraced corridor with disappointed looks on their faces that gave the rest their answer.

"He's not in the business center," Cindy informed. She fidgeted with her pin-straight hair, tucking it behind her ear over and over.

"Ned, are you sure he didn't mention where he was going?" Mr. Harrington inquired, looking at the boy who wore a distressed expression.

"I— nope," Ned answered, swallowing tightly. Aside from sounding incredibly unconvincing, he looked down at his sneakers— a telltale sign of lying.

"We can't wait any longer or we'll be late to check in at the auditorium," their teacher remarked softly. He shook his head, making a circular motion with his finger. "Let's get on the bus, kids."

"Typical. I guess I'll have to take Parker's place," Flash chimed in, shrugging as he strode past Sally to be first on the bus.

"Oh, we are all doomed," Abe sighed as he followed Cindy up the steps.

Thea shook her head incredulously as she spotted Liz's silent demeanor. She hated to admit Flash was right but in this instance, he was. It wasn't fair of Peter to ditch the team, show up and join again, then abandon them the literal morning of the competition. The only thing she wondered was where he was. It wasn't like he had the map of D.C. on the back of his hand. Ned definitely knew what he was up to and Thea was going to find out.

She tugged on the boy's arm, stopping him from getting in line behind Charles. Startled, Ned tensed at the sudden physical contact. He locked fearful eyes with her steely ones.

"Where's Peter?" she asked.

"I-I don't know." He stood strong by his wavering argument but the guilty look on his face was giving him away.

"C'mon, Ned, how long are you gonna keep this up?" Thea sighed, folding her arms over her chest. "Is he at least okay? Did he text you at all—"

"Okay, look, I promise he's fine, it's just—"