xii. a ferry bad day

ILLYRIS | xii.
"YOINK!"
A FERRY BAD DAY

THE FERRY WAS scheduled to leave at eleven

THE FERRY WAS scheduled to leave at eleven. It would take a little over half an hour for Thea and Peter to make it in time so they got a move on quick. The plan was a bit hazy but Peter assured her everything would work out on its own. Maybe it was his zealous confidence in himself that was offbeat. Or the fact that they were going to jump a ferry boat while Thea was supposed to be learning about Faraday's law.

In any case, she led the charge and they were a few rooftops away from the loading dock. Her ears rung as the blaring of the ferry horn echoed. The waters of the Upper Bay glistened under the morning sunlight, each twinkle reminiscent of diamonds showered across the ripples beyond the stationed vessel. She couldn't hear Karen's instructions but Peter informed her the time via Karen— ten-fifty. The only thing they had to do now was look for the Vulture's crew. To Thea it was obvious; illegal arms deals weren't in need of an audience. The holders would go to the car deck to conduct their business.

The ferry itself was huge, orange in color. A gush of frothy water was left in its wake as it began to set sail. Thea could see the edge of the building getting closer and before she knew it Peter had leaped off the railing, spreading his arms and legs out. There was no webbing. Only paper-thin patches of fabric that stretched out from his elbows. The wind picked up underneath them and he took off.

He reminded Thea of a sugar glider— the huge eyes not making it any better.

Taking a deep breath, she jumped and felt her fire pick up her body. Her flight wasn't as fast as Peter's but this was only her second time using the flames as a propellent and, well... she didn't quite pass the swimming unit in gym class.

Peter had his arms stretched out and seconds before they crashed into the wall, he pulled her close, wary of the soft flames that dripped down her hair. Whatever was making Peter stick to the side of the watercraft held the two of them and that was good enough for her.

"Nice," he whispered as soon as he secured his footing. With precise silence, the two crept up the exterior of the ship to a square window.

Thea caught a glimpse of numerous passengers idly sitting in their seats, busying themselves with phones or magazines. She felt her heart skip a beat— there were so many people and if something were to go wrong they would be in deep shit.

"Okay, Karen, activate Enhanced Reconnaissance Mode," she heard Peter say and frowned.

"Did Tony put in a microwave oven too?" Thea mumbled to herself as he communicated with his AI. She wondered if Bex could modify Bluetooth to fit a comms device. It wasn't just the awkwardness of being a third wheel that put her off. She wanted to know what was going on. Uncertainty wasn't a favorite feeling of hers.

Peter looked to her as Droney began to detach himself from the center of his suit and crawl on top of his head. "One of the guys from the bridge is there and he's with some old dude. Karen says he doesn't have a criminal record. Hey, Droney, keep an eye on that guy. We can't let anybody get away this time."