- JULY 2, 2000 -

NEW YORK BULLETIN

NEW YORK BULLETIN

DRAGON SLAIN: MURDER OF MAEGYO REMAINS A MYSTERY
Explosion killing hundreds tied to the deaths of the Sovrani political leader and his family.

Ben Urich, Lead Reporter
July 2, 2000
_________________________________________

LONDON. This past night on July 1, three Sovrani political officials were found murdered. Maegyo Aeres Valaryen, 48, was found murdered in the Rhaenkeep, the home of the Valaryen family. His son, 24-year-old Rhaeon Valaryen, was found dead in the River Thames. The cause of death is blunt force trauma to the chest and drowning. Magister Daven Targos, a council member of the Maegyo was found dead in the audience chamber of the Sovrani Consulate. He was impaled through the chest by an unknown object. No suspects are currently under investigation.

As for the Maegyo, many assumed he died by suicide. Witnesses state the Mad Dragon's chilling last words were, "Burn it all." Following a confirmed diagnosis of a severe psychiatric disorder and public exhibition of paranoid and violent behavior, his role in the massacre was presumed intentional on the basis of mental illness.

Notable for his reserved political ideologies and limited involvement in international affairs, the Maegyo championed a return to cultural roots. It may have been this staunch belief that prompted him to marry his first cousin, the Lady Elaenys Valaryen, on the basis of preserving their Sovrani blood and strengthening the line of succession. Many Valaryens had intermarried between the 16th and 18th centuries though the practice had been outlawed. The nature of the marriage has caused controversy in the political circuit. The Sovrani official's psychiatric affliction deviated his notable work in biochemistry and multiple ravings have been recorded in response to public criticism.

"I am the son of my forefather Rhaenar the Dragon," he said in one documented source. "Dragons don't bow to gods or men."

The House Valaryen is rooted in the history of London, notably in the 16th century. The family is noted to be one of the last full-blooded descendants of Sovranys, an ancient civilization of the Classical Age period where rumored sorcerers were supposed to control mythological creatures such as dragons. The aristocratic family has been said to descend from their founder Rhaenar Valaryen (1485-1533), a legendary Sovrani figure who immigrated from Sovranys shortly before its complete destruction. Interpreting medieval texts and the writings of abbots, historians question whether Rhaenar, his sister and wife, the Lady Visseria, and their younger brother, the Lord Daerion actually used dragons and magic for combat and prestige.

The Maegyo's wife, the Lady Elaenys Valaryen went missing that same night, last seen in the area of Westminster with an unidentified household member. Tips pouring in raise suspicion over whether her disappearance is linked to her husband and son's deaths.

With the dissolution of House Valaryen, the unity of the Sovrani race is expected to shatter.