Crush

I was going through the game plan with my teammates on the field, when my eyes caught onto something magnificent. Or rather someone.

It was her brown hair that caught my attention; so long, straight and silky. A gust of wind blew against her hair, making it flow freely, covering her face. Delicate fingers swiped the strands behind her ear, revealing an angelic face unmatched in beauty.

Her fair skin glistened from the floodlights that illuminated her face, but I wasn't sure if it was makeup or just a healthy, natural skin glow. She was listening attentively to one of her friends, and I couldn't help noticing how her doe-eyes looked so kind.

Her button nose scrunched adorably as she continued to listen to her friend's rant and I couldn't stop the smile that tugged at my lips at her adorableness. Her lips though, were something else. She had the sexiest set of fantasy-inducing full round lips that I'd ever seen in my life. I had to suppress a groan as my imaginations ran wild with all the things I could do with that lush mouth of hers.

"Ey, Fox!" One of my teammates shouted, pulling me out of my trance. I looked back to see them all watching me expectantly, and I realised that I have stopped in the middle of game plan.

Cursing under my breath, I apologised and continued laying out the plan, but I was distracted. Every other second, my eyes would follow a certain beauty on their own accord. She was just so beautiful, I was afraid she would disappear if I looked away for too long.

"Crushin' on the enemy's crowd?" My best friend, Cole, smirked as he eyed the subject of my distraction. I glared at him and told him to shut up. The other guys oohed and aahed as they tried to get in on the gossip.

Our coach noticed our slacking and came intending to give us an earful I was sure. "What the f**k are you guys doing gossiping like a bunch of girls and not preparing for the game?" He started. He was a strong character, but wasn't harsh by any means. He was like a father figure to all of us, and his harsh tone came from a tender place in his heart that wanted us to succeed.

"Fox here is distracted, Cap. He's into one of the enemy's crowd." The betraying bastard. I elbowed him in the stomach as revenge. He bent over in pain but was laughing under his breath.

Coach raised his brows at me, probably curious that I was suddenly interested in someone. "Well, what are y'all waiting for, point her to me!"

A bunch of arms started to point in her direction and I snapped. "Why don't I give you the megaphone so you could call her out instead." I was aiming to sound angry but it came out more sarcastic. A bunch of guys laughed while coach whistled appreciatively. "Good eye, Fox. You found the prize even when it's at enemy territory. That's why you're QB."

"Stop calling it that, we're not in a war!" I snapped. These guys certainly had the flair for the dramatics. I'm surprised they didn't join the drama club instead. So what if she goes to the rivalling college, it's not the end of the world. Besides, she seemed quite disinterested with the whole pregame experience, which leads me to think that she's forced here by her friends. Hmm...

"Alright, guys. Quit fooling around and get your heads in the game. We want this championship if you want to get scouted today." His authoritative tone had almost all of them sobering up, but I couldn't really focus with him. My eyes were like magnets, getting attracted to the beauty that sat unaware of the major attraction I harboured towards her.

"Gray, listen." Captain brought me back with a hard clap on my shoulders. "If you want to get that girl, you're gonna have to impress her on the field. She might cheer for the other side of the field, but everybody knows we're the stronger team here," he advised.

"This game is important to all of you, this could make or break your football career, so quit daydreaming and get your head in the game, Fox! Do you hear me!" He yelled. There was his tough love.

"Yes, sir!" I yelled back, pumped by his words. This was indeed the big game that we've shed blood, sweat and tears to prepare for. I, myself, was looking forward to being scouted by a big league so I really couldn't afford the distraction.

I stepped away from the team to prepare myself. I always took three quiet minutes to myself before every game to set my goal straight and clear my mindset for winning. It's how I've progressed and thrived into becoming one of the best players on the field.

After my time was up, I chanced a final glance at my angel... to find her already staring at me. The entire world vanished and only her and I remained. The intensity of those hazel orbs had me reeling in shock. She may look innocent, but those eyes had the power to bring you to your knees.

Her lips were parted and she looked equally as surprised as I felt, so maybe my effect wasn't lost on her after all. Hope soared in me, and I felt a power surge so thunderous that I thought I became invincible.

I kissed my father's dog tags around my neck, eyes never leaving hers. Even, straight teeth bit into her plump lower lip in what seemed like a nervous gesture, but f**k me, did it do things to my insides that had no business happening right before a game.

Then she gave me a small, shy smile, and I couldn't contain the megawatt grin that tugged at my lips.

Huh, maybe this wasn't difficult after all. No need to treat it like a rivalry, it was just football. Besides, non of us loses if she's supporting the winning team anyways.

She was the first to look away, and my heart warmed at the redness of her cheeks. It's been so long since I'd seen someone so pure, when I'm usually surrounded by fame-seeking bimbos... it's refreshing.

***
To be continued...

Please excuse any technical mistakes about football. I literally know nothing about it but that's how the inspiration came to me.