Bittersweet

Jason's pov

What the f**k was she thinking, bending down like that in front of those rogues? I see the little tease trait of hers has not disappeared after all those years.

After giving those sorry excuses for men a few words about respect, I went after Candy to check on her.

Wow... it's really been seven years since I've last seen her. She hasn't changed one bit; still the ever-so-sweet girl next door that I fell in love with when I was younger. Though her smile wasn't as genuine, and her attitude wasn't as happy-go-lucky as she used to before.

I burst into the kitchen to find it bustling with action; cooks checking steaming pots on the stove, waiters coming in and leaving with either delectable plates of food or dishes that have been licked clean from how delicious the food must've been. I still remember dining here with Candace as if it was just yesterday, and when Joey prepared our meal for our very first date. My heart twisted at the nostalgic memories.

It didn't take me long to find her; bent over a table and looking very still for my liking. Concern edged into my features as I grabbed her arm and turned her around to face me. Her eyes were dull and spark-less. She looked like she was lost.

"Are you okay?" I asked, but it felt like the words haven't registered in her mind. Instead of giving me an answer, she asked, "what are you doing here?"

I masked the disappointment I felt at her displeased expression. Did she not want me here? Has she forgotten about me and moved on? Was she dating someone else? My train of thoughts was getting me madder by the second.

I grabbed her and pulled her out of the busy kitchen into the staff room. We needed to talk, and I didn't want an audience watching as we did so. She tried to pull away from me but I caged her small frame to the wall with my larger body. She still continued to struggle against me until I pulled her against my chest for a long-overdue embrace.

It felt like my soul has been restored into my body as her warm, curvy frame melded perfectly with my own. I held her tighter against me and couldn't help noticing how her body changed from when we were sixteen. She was noticeably bustier, her hips fuller and had thighs that I couldn't stop fantasising about wrapped around my waist... or my face. I licked my suddenly dry lips but had to contain a growl at the thought of the man that had been lucky enough to see it all instead of me.

"Why are you back?" Her whisper was muffled against my chest, but I heard it loud and clear. I also heard how it stabbed me in the heart for the second time today.

I pulled away and looked into her troubled eyes. I frowned. "I have business to tend to here on the island... I also wanted to see you." I told her the truth.

I half-expected her to be happy that I came back for her, but she didn't seem pleased. Instead, she pushed me away again, and this time I let her keep the distance.

"You think coming back after all those years would change anything?"

I was confused. What change? "What are you talking about? Nothing changed between us. You disappeared off the face of the earth after I went to New York and I couldn't contact you at all!"

"Well, what do you expect me to do when I find out my boyfriend who hasn't so much as texted me ever since he left for New York and my supposed best friend are engaged while I was back home on the island, worried sick that something had happened to you all that time and I wasn't able to reach you!"

Engaged? What is she talking about?

"I don't under-"

"Save it!" She cut me off. "I don't want to hear it. This was years ago. No need to dwell on the past. You're here for your business, that's got nothing to do with me. Please, don't show up here again and stay away from me. Have a nice life." Her voice was stone cold, but wavered at the end of her ridiculous speech.

"Like hell will I stay away fro-" I got cut off again by the door bursting open. Andrea stormed in, glaring at me, and took Candy's hand in hers.

"Get your stuff, Didi, we're getting outta here," she deadpanned, angry eyes never leaving my face. If I wasn't so frustrated, I would've been slightly scared. Andi was Candy's best friend since before we've met, and at some point we were friends too, but I guess that's no more.

"You heard the girl. Stay away from her, or you're gonna have to answer to me. Unlike Candace, I'm not afraid to use my fists on people who piss me off. She's moved on, and apparently you did too, so there's no reason to dig up painful memories for the both of you."

She's moved on!? My blood boiled and I had to clench my fists and count to ten or I was gonna trash the entire room. And what was that about me moving on? And about my supposed engagement? There was obviously a misunderstanding that needed to be cleared up.

"Ready, Didi?" She asked my sweet Candy, and only after she nodded solemnly did she grab her like she was her child and pulled her out of the room and of course, away from me.

Unable to stop myself, I slammed my fist into a locker door, leaving a fist indentation on the metal door. This was not how I expected my arrival back home would turn out. Not this sadness and hostility, and certainly not years worth of misunderstandings clouding their judgments of me.

I needed to clear the air with Candace first.

As I went back to my friend and right-hand man, Logan, to tell him that we needed to leave, I was surprised to find an addition at our table. And not a pleasant one.

"Hey, Jason..." murmured the backstabbing best friend Candy was talking about.

This was going to be a looooong day.

***

To be continued...

A triple threat update?? Nah you're just dreaming. It's time to WAKE UP!

Sorry, I'm a lil bit crazy rn. Doing three consecutive updates does that to people I guess...

Seriously though, who is this person and what did she do to our beloved lazy author, because I don't even know, smh.